Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it certainly is the season for polling, so here's mine:
What bike(s) did you own before you got your wing, and what made you make the switch?

·
Super Moderator
28,044 Posts
Kaw. 1500C Vulcan.

Cruiser & wife wanted comfort. I belive the actual moment was the day after a run & back to Baltimore for lunch.;)

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
When my wife said she would come on the back of my bike. So then it had to be a wing. The currant ride at the time was a Honda Sabre 700 1985. And it had one of the worst seat I have ever had. Eric

·
Super Moderator
9,586 Posts
86 Kawasaki Voyager 1200. Just wanted a wing, so I bought my 98 GL1500..

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Suzuki Boulevard.
I saw a fella on a Wing at a service station. I told him "One day, I hope to grow up to be like you"......The search was on and 4 months later I had the my 2002 GL1800

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Had my 03 V-star and wasn't looking for another bike, but I was on my way home from vacation and saw the wing for sale and bought it. Haven't ridden the V-Star in three years.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
In 1979 I saw a 1977 Gl1000 in a front yard for sale for $1300, I had road my friends bikes for years but never had 1 of my own and just could not pass this up. That was my first Wing and the start of a thing I just could not get rid of.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
2008 Kaw Vulcan 900, my first bike. Put on 24k miles in 16 months. Made all my rookie mistakes on the 900. Wanted more power, and comfort for my wife, the wing has been great. Glad I started smaller and worked up. It's been a blast, and I am hooked for life.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2005 Honda VTX 1800f.Got tired of the twin thumping and vibration and wanted a smoother,quieter ride.Goldwing was the ONLY choice and was on the top of my bucket list.I could not be any happier.

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
A 1968 BSA Thunderbolt, got it in 1980 and rode it (or toted it around) until after I got married in 1985. Too hard to find parts and too expensive to keep on the money I was earning.
2002 Yamaha XT 225, bought Father/Son dirt bikes when he was 12. His was a 125 TTR and we kept these both until after Katrina. Salt water bathing isn’t good for bikes.
2004 Yamaha V-Star, took Martena on a couple short trips. Best was to Orange Beach, AL. On the way home we took the ferry across Mobile Bay and stayed on Hwy 90 all the way home. Katrina drowned this one also, despite leaving it at a friend’s house that was 20 feet above sea level. That storm brought 24 feet of water to my town in 2005.
2006 Yamaha Stratoliner, bought after we fixed our house and I had enough money saved from doing much of the work myself. We took a couple trips on it, best was to see if Elvis was home in 2009. Yep, he is there all right.
Then my friend gave Martena a ride on his Gold Wing…..
2010 Honda GL1800, because the better half wanted to ride comfortable and I’m not completely stupid and do try to keep her happy. The sacrafices we all must make!

Pictures! (To show that it did happen.)
First; while I do not have a picture of my BSA, this add shows what it did look like.
Second; my V-Star the day I brought it home in 2004
Third; my house didn’t look as good the next year.
Fourth; new Yamaha and you can see my son’s TTR on the carport. It ran but not very well.
Fifth; keeping her happy sure keeps me happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Harley Street Glide. Something comfortable for the wife on long runs, reliability, and I didn't have to put 3000 more into it to get it to run cooler and like it should

·
Super Moderator
7,587 Posts
Harley Davidson Electra-glide.
I wanted a Goldwing, but the Wing was too tall for me and so I turned it into a trike.
I'm 5'3" and Goldwings and very short people don't go well together and I become the entertainment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First bike was a 1984 GL-1200 one of the prettiest blue I've ever seen,but my boys started getting old enough to start wanting to ride it on the street,so I sold it.I don't think anyone especially my kids have enough sense to ride a bike on the road til they're 30 years old(lol).And that was about 25 years ago,got a 2005 Yamaha V-Star last year(still have it)and remembered how smooth and comfortable my Wing was so went on this forum first and that really gave the the fever so I purchased a 1991 GL-1500 last week!And as happy as a little kid again.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My first bike was an Indian Chief, this was in early 50s. (wasn't mine, belonged to my uncle, who drove truck over the road and I would steal rides on his bike.) First of my own was a Harley Hog in late 50s. Then went to a Honda 750, then got my first wing an 82. Wrecked it then got an 84 wing. Quit riding in 95, started again in 2011 on my 96 Aspencade, triked out.

Have loved them for years.

·
Super Moderator
11,339 Posts
I switched from a 1981 Honda CM400T to a 1984 GL1200 so I could keep up with the others I ride with.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts