Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my (new to me) 08 a few weeks ago. I suppose it will not be too long before new tires are needed.

I am on the second set of Metzler 880 bias tires on my Concours. In terms of wear, these tires will easily get 20,000 + miles on that bike, front and rear. The ones fitted are sized for a 1500 Goldwing.

Outstanding wear. Excellent in rain. Very good overall grip. Gave up a bit of feel over stock Dunlops, but far superior performance on rain grooved concrete. Bike handling much better in the wake of a big truck.

Anyone running Metzler's on their 1800? Bias or radial. The stock Dunlops have overall fairly good feel, and good rain performance. But, they seem to like to track rain grooves to some extent. And, I am wondering how long they last on average.

Dart:cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Like the commercials say, "your mileage will vary". The GL1800 requires radial tires and the amount of miles you get from them varies depending upon brand and how you ride. From what I've seen on other forums posters seem to get somewhere between 8-14K from a set. Some get less and some more depending on how they ride. Brands seem to be Bridgestone, Dunlop, Metzler and Avlon. Do some research on this and other forums and you will get a good idea of what others think of each one.

I only have about 3k on my 09 so I won't need tires soon, but on my GL1500 I replaced the worn tires with the factory originals (Dunlop k177) and they always gave me good service, but they were bias-ply which tend to give better mileage.

Congrats on your new (to you) Wing. Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dunlop Elite III radial tires are designed to not track in groves or the chain cut asphalt you find in construction areas. I find them to be very good tires compared to the non radials I used to ride.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... THE P.O. PUT DUNLOP 404's ON THE WING AND THE BACK IS WEARING FINE GOOD GRIP ect. BUT THE FRONT HAS DEVELOPED WEIRD WEAR SPOTS ... I KEEP TIRE PRESSURE AT CORRECT PSI TIRES ARE BALANCED AND TRACK INLINE ... I DON'T HAVE A SECURE FEELING WHEN CORNERING PLUS IF THERE ARE ANY GROOVES OR SCRAPES IN THE PAVEMENT HANG ON ... WILL BE SWITCHING TO ELITE-2 HAVE HEARD GOOD REPORTS .... ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts