Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From another board.
I thought I would try them on my 03 wing. All was well at first, they seemed to grip good, although I am not a real agressive rider and I slow down in the rain. At 5000 miles the front delaminated so I will be replacing with Stones (good timing on the July 4th sale). I thought I could detect some minor cupping during my last few pre ride inspections but I thought what the heck, almost every tire I have used on the wing has cupped somewhat later in it's life. I was not prepared for what happened today. I was on the way home from work, about 2 or 3 miles from home when I noticed a steady thump or bump coming from what I thought was the front tire. I slowed down to a snail's pace to limp it on home and the slower I went the worse it got, the bars would shake almost to the point of a tank slapper, especially on a turn. I kept it very slow so as not to lose control and got home safely. The front tire is toast with bulges and soft spots all the way around. Yes the pressure was good. Anyway, no more Shinkos for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I also have never heard of them. My GW came with Dunlop. The Yamaha originally came with Bridgestones and I never seemed to get many miles out of them. Trying Dunlop 250's on my third set and we will see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i sell motorcycle tires for a living. i have dealt with all the brands you can think of. if cheng shin made a tire for the gl1800 i would recomend that before a shinko they are the worst tire on the market for any application. no matter how cheap they are dont buy them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does anyone know approximately how many miles you get with the stock tires, properly inflated, not canyon carving etc.? Just "normal" riding on secondary roads. Curious when I will need to replace the tires on my 2010 Wing?

I only ride one up and usually nothing more than a laptop in the trunk or maybe a bag or two of groceries.

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone know approximately how many miles you get with the stock tires, properly inflated, not canyon carving etc.? Just "normal" riding on secondary roads. Curious when I will need to replace the tires on my 2010 Wing?

I only ride one up and usually nothing more than a laptop in the trunk or maybe a bag or two of groceries.

Rob
ive seen as little as 8,000 as as much as 18,000. proper tire inflation i crucial and some of my customers swear that over inflation is the key.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i sell motorcycle tires for a living. i have dealt with all the brands you can think of. if cheng shin made a tire for the gl1800 i would recomend that before a shinko they are the worst tire on the market for any application. no matter how cheap they are dont buy them.
This is the best info you can get for FREE.....

Don't Buy Them

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Joe! Are those "Stinko" tires from Korea or Japan? Seems like either way they should have done their homework before offering them on the American market. Isn't there somekind of DOT specks these tires have to meet before we unknowingly purchase them?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i wouldn't put a shinko or chen shin on a wheel barrel. all tires have to pass dot specks but its the minimum those tires have to pass so if a manufacture decides to do better thats on them. dot only decides the minimum

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Kind of like the off-shore "disposable" mini-bikes and atv's that are popping up in box stores and on corner lots all over the place. No dealership franchise fees, no parts and warranty support, and often a couple weeks later, no vendor where you bought it. There is a reason why the mainstream OEM's are priced the way they are. If it's half the price, it's lucky to be half the product.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kind of like the off-shore "disposable" mini-bikes and atv's that are popping up in box stores and on corner lots all over the place. No dealership franchise fees, no parts and warranty support, and often a couple weeks later, no vendor where you bought it. There is a reason why the mainstream OEM's are priced the way they are. If it's half the price, it's lucky to be half the product.
well said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts