Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm Blake. I like to ruin perfectly good bikes.

I have been playing with the idea of finding a 70's-early 80's model Gold Wing and stripping it down to bare essentials. A super naked wing. The previous owner says he rode it near daily on his 60 mile round trip for work up to last summer and since then it has been sitting. He said the carbs probably need to be cleaned. He also said it needed some brake work and tires.

i went to see the bike and it looked pretty good for what it was. He said it has been sitting since he got his new bike (last year) and he tried to crank it a couple weeks ago and said he couldnt get it to fire up. I told him if he'd let me and my buddy tinker with it for a few minutes and if we got it running that i'd get it. All i did was spray a little starter fluid into the air box, turned it over and it fired right up. it ran, sorta. It did not like the almost 1 year old gas in the tank. It did crank though. and really easy. So I picked it up.

i think i'm the youngest Gold Wing owner in history at 21. haha i think the moment i look forward to the most once i get the bike how i want it is stopping next to old guys on fully dressed goldwings and talking with them. and suprising all the young guys when i tell them it's a goldwing.

this gold wing will be by far the largest bike i've ridden. my last bike was a 78 suzuki gs 550 bare bones bobber. it was really light for a street bike. 2 guys could pretty easily get it in the back of a truck. this gold wing probably weighs twice what the suzuki did.

so a while back

I took the carbs out and cleaned them then I got the carbs back in and it ran! well cranks up and idles. it turns over 2 maybe 3 times and fired right up. idled. but when i gave it more than about 1/3 throttle, it kinda bogged and acted funny. but i thought that may have been attributed to not having the air box on.

so the next day i went to mess with the bike and there was gas all in the plenum. so drained the carbs. took them back out. the cylinders were full of gas.

i opened up the carbs again. found out i forgot to tighten up the seats... oops.

i drained the gassy oil, changed the filter and filled it back up with fresh oil.

checked over the carbs again, a couple of the slides were sticking. fixed that. found out one of the throttle cables were broke, and found the mount for the choke cable was broke. got the carbs back in, on one throttle cable...

i thought something was wrong with the solenoid. bypassed it and the starter turned fine and it would crank. but the starter sometimes would turn reeaaally slow and sometimes it was fine. it was weird.

i got the carbs back in and the bike was running but it had a hard time idling but higher rpms was fine. opposite of my problem last time.

sounded like it was missing one cylinder. pulled the spark plugs and checked them ones on the left were wet right were dry. swapped the plugs around just to see. nothing changed. then pulled spark plug boots to check if it changed anything. pulled the rear on the left side, bike died instantly. restarted, pulled the front on the left, nothing changed. so one cylinder was down. stuck a screw driver in the boot to check spark and it was extremely weak.
I thought it meant coils.

i wanted to do a compression test but the starter wouldnt turn... so, it was back to not running... got frustrated and stopped for the day. which ended up turning into a few months.

ever since that one day of being angry the bike had done nothing but take up space, so i have been trying to sell it. after a few people coming to look at it and not wanting the bike in it's current state, i got to messing around with it one afternoon replaced the soleniod and wouldnt you know the SOB started up after about 5 minutes of turning over. yeah the starter turned fine And to top it off it runs perfect. no miss, no knock, no lag, no bog. it blew my freakin mind. there was smoke and a good bit of it coming from the headers.

i dont know what exactly it was i did. but hey, whatever it was it worked. and I'm not complaining. i revved it some and it idled without issue for over an hour and a half. the smoke died off and eventually stopped.

the next day i went out to just see if it was still good. turned over 3 times and fired right up. ran perfect. no smoke so i think it was just crap on the headers bc it wasnt blowing out the exhaust. it was running so well that i decided to be brave and take it for a spin around the yard.

that ride killed any chance of me selling this thing. haha

bike has absolutely no brakes what so ever though. so it was easy going.

i took a video of it running.

so umm i reckon it's back on! haha

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Well now you have a project to keep you out of trouble again. If I was you I would be sure to photograph the project through it's evolution & make a photo album of the results. Good Luck & keep us posted.:FlameDude:

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Off an running I'd say. Good update.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Not my cup of tea, as far as a bike goes. But it is good to have you around. And I do like the trouble that you go to in making Your bike.:D

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I sure wish the later model Gold Wings air filters were as easy to replace as those in the early 80's model. I think it took about 2 minutes.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
little bit of an update.

got to fool with the bike a little today.

put the air box back on...
removed the compressor for the air shocks and forks
removed air lines from compressor
removed air controls and guages
removed passenger foot pegs
pulled the radio's antenna wire out
started the bike up after air box reinstallation and let it run for a while

I think i need to rebuild the forks.
also for the air, i just planned on putting a fitting on the forks and filling them manually. i'm going to fill the space where the air gauge and compressor controls were with one of those nifty little 3 pod gauge clusters.

i need to do something about the brakes.
but i just dont know where to start.

i also need to get a dang battery.

plus, what oil am I suppose to use in this thing?

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
A diamond in the rough! Sounds pretty good to me though. You can get a battery at any NAPA store, I'd go gel if you can cross one over. 10W40 is Honda's recommendation for oil; dino or synthetic m/c formulated (but you know that stuff already so). What shape are the rotors in? Honda OEM rotors are typically top notch so I wouldn't worry about them other than a good cleaning unless they're shot from neglect or abuse/damage. New pads and a good cleaning of the claipers and pistons, then a rebuild of the master cyls and a good flush and fresh fluids all round. As to pads you can see what's in your reach but I'd use EBC over the OEM ones. DON'T go over aggressive on the pads either. All you'll end up doing is wearing the rotors faster than they should. Remember to scrub the 'new' brakes in gently before riding the bike like you stole it, they should be broke in to get the most out of them (again you likely know this too but). Fork seals and maybe springs?

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A diamond in the rough! Sounds pretty good to me though. You can get a battery at any NAPA store, I'd go gel if you can cross one over. 10W40 is Honda's recommendation for oil; dino or synthetic m/c formulated (but you know that stuff already so). What shape are the rotors in? Honda OEM rotors are typically top notch so I wouldn't worry about them other than a good cleaning unless they're shot from neglect or abuse/damage. New pads and a good cleaning of the claipers and pistons, then a rebuild of the master cyls and a good flush and fresh fluids all round. As to pads you can see what's in your reach but I'd use EBC over the OEM ones. DON'T go over aggressive on the pads either. All you'll end up doing is wearing the rotors faster than they should. Remember to scrub the 'new' brakes in gently before riding the bike like you stole it, they should be broke in to get the most out of them (again you likely know this too but). Fork seals and maybe springs?
it most likely will turn out to be a rough diamond haha but as long as it ends up being a solid dependable bike that looks half way good, then i cant ask anything more.

i picked up a battery for pretty cheap today just a regular acid filled one.

the rotors seem to be in pretty good shape but i havent gotten down there and really inspected them yet.

what do you mean by "aggressive pads?" and how do you scrub the pads on the rotor? just light pressure on the brake lever for a short bit while goin down the road? or like rubbing the pad on the rotor by hand? never done brakes on a bike; this is new for me.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Yup, just the same as you would for any brand new bike or auto really; nothing real aggressive for a short break-in time. Aggressive pads (higher abrassive content) are fine for the track, just to harsh for everyday riding.

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Good plan Blake & continued good luck with the project.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update:

well got good news and got bad news

good news:
ordered some brake pads today.
cleaned up the front brakes
added some fluid
bled em out.
they pumped up good and feel good.
they stopped the bike. lol

bad news:

so after riding around the yard in 1st gear i decided to go down the road.
rode about a mile and when i pulled back in the yard the bike started running rough. Just like it was doing before. had a bad knock at low rpm's and would not idle by itself. high rpms it was fine. then it cut off.

tried to crank it and got nothing.

went inside to get a drink, came back outside tried it again and it ran fine. no knock, idled fine, revved fine. wtf.
i let it idle for about 20 minutes. cut it off and it fired back up fine. cruised around the yard fine. mind blown.

so i took it down the road again. was fine until i was just about back at the house. started running rough again, same deal as before. got mad and put it up.

i dont get what happened?

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
'83 right? Maybe an electronic ignition wiring issue? Just guessing...

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
update:

well got good news and got bad news

good news:
ordered some brake pads today.
cleaned up the front brakes
added some fluid
bled em out.
they pumped up good and feel good.
they stopped the bike. lol

bad news:

so after riding around the yard in 1st gear i decided to go down the road.
rode about a mile and when i pulled back in the yard the bike started running rough. Just like it was doing before. had a bad knock at low rpm's and would not idle by itself. high rpms it was fine. then it cut off.

tried to crank it and got nothing.

went inside to get a drink, came back outside tried it again and it ran fine. no knock, idled fine, revved fine. wtf.
i let it idle for about 20 minutes. cut it off and it fired back up fine. cruised around the yard fine. mind blown.

so i took it down the road again. was fine until i was just about back at the house. started running rough again, same deal as before. got mad and put it up.

i dont get what happened?
did you change the fuel filter blake

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Sounds like the pulse generator or the coils might be going bad, both are affected when hot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.