Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought my first goldwing.1983 interstate gl1100.im putting a new starter an rear brakes on it .just wandering if some of you previous owners had any experiences on this year of bike.any info you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.im planning on doing some touring on this bike.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome to the site from Illinois.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF rocky

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing and welcome to the forum from your neighbor to the east. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome from Alberta Canada Rocky. 1st Wing I ever rode was a friends 1100 Interstate; great machine. How much on the odo on yours?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank u all for the welcome.my goldwing has 33,000 miles on it.if you dont mind a couple questions.when do u need to change the timing chain?and the cam chain tensioner seem to rattle a little.any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Rocky, welcome from the Tar Heel state. Wish I could give you some advice but mine is a 1800 and to tell the truth it's still all new to me. :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Rocky, try this link and read carefully...sage advice there:
http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/belt.html
The web page states GL1200, but the 1000, 1100 and 1200 all used toothed belts. Lots of wisdom in changing them out if you have no history of when they were last changed or how long since the bike was run (or stored). Better a few bucks and some elbow grease/labour fees than a misaligned cam system, which would destroy the engine in short order. Hard to believe that there is no scheduled maintenance on the tensioners, belts, pulleys, nothing related. Trust me I checked the service manual, and it's mentioned on that web page above.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome to the forum...I just sold my '81 GW Interstate....why are you replacing the starter....I had a problem with my '81 where the carb seats would leak gas into the cyclinders, thus causing back pressure...the dealer insisted that it was the starter...when all I needed was a rebuild of the carbs....just curious..? Have fun with the '83 GW its a great bike if your take care of her....I up graded to a 2010...it took me 30 years to save up....can't wait for the 2040 models to come out....I heard they will have six wheels...:D

Safe Riding...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts