Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I joined today to help get some serious research done. I have been a kraut bike rider for more than 3 decades. Granted I started out with a Honda 350 in 72 but I went German in 76 and stayed there for my personal bikes. I have also trained on Moto Guzzi and rode a Kawasaki for work for over a decade. I have had a bike since I was 18 except for a 6 week period when I was between bikes way back in the late 70's.

Now I am looking at going back to Honda and getting a Wing. I am looking for insight on what to look for, what to look out for and how much it will cost not just to buy but maintain.

I started out in AZ but for over 6 years wherever we park is home. The wife and I are full time RV'ers and no longer have a fixed home.

I hope to get some great info to lead me to make a decision to either stay in krautville or jump in the rice bowl again. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
Welcome and greetings from Florida.
I own a 1993 GL-1500 Aspencade for 4 years and have over 63,000 miles on it.
I have excellent luck (shall we say) with mine, in the four years I have owned it I have put on 3 sets of tires, a new alternator (original went bad after 17 years), regular maintenance (oil changes, coolant change, spark plugs & air filters) and a new set of shocks.
The charging system is a little underpowered and I replaced the one on mine when it went bad with a Compufire. 1996 to 2000 had alternators with problems (most alternators get upgraded when they go bad). Good luck in your search for a Goldwing that's right for you.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
There has been a rash of newbies looking for answers much like you.
check some active posts and you will see details of maintenance requirements etc.

If you are 2 up, the consiciense will be a wing. 1 up it's kinda up to what you like.
A beemer showed up this week looking for advise on wings as he cannot find a dealer when he needs one (he travels too) and has no garage.

Good luck

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome M60A1, you're not the first to try and decide wheter the Wing is the next step. The BMW K1200LT is the closest thing to a Wing from the Motorweurken that I have ridden and it's a great ride. Not sure what the 6 cyl wonder is going to be like but I'm sure it'll be a doozey. Wings really are in a class by themselves in most cases, but to each his own. Interesting lifestyle being a full timer, but there's room for a GL if there's room for any bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts