Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. First it's good to be back. I've been down for a while and have missed my bike and those who share the passion. Any way for those who didn't see the first trailer from last year, I have a new model that I like to call the Woody styled after the old cars. I have built several sense the first one last year and thought it was time for some upgrades. On this trailer I decided I would put some special features in it that would make it unique. First it has to be light so it has a all aluminum sub frame. The box is all 1/8" fully welded 5052 alum. By welding the box it makes it very strong and also keeps the water out. The hitch has a spindle in it with brass bushings to let the bike lean into corners. The lid is also light and strong. Next was to add some extra fuel for those long rides through nowhere that have no fuel stops. I built a 5 gal. tank that sits below the trailer to keep the weight low and not take up any room. This has proved to work real well. The refuel is very easy as flipping a switch on the bike and it pumps the fuel into your bikes tank on the go. There is a quick connect on the fuel line to the bike with the fuel pump mounted under the trailer. The line can run to the top of your fuel cap on the bike or just use a fuel hose and do it manually. On a recent trip down from Elko Nv to Tonopah NV there are very few places for fuel so we used the extra fuel on board and made the trip with ease. The next thing was to add a new look. As a custom fabricator by trade I thought it would soften the look of the all aluminum trailer by adding some oak trim and rails. The running boards are also helpful in keeping some of the road grime off the bike and trailer. It also has the normal ice chest rack and LED lights. I learned from the early trailers that they tend to bounce a bit when empty so I put a couple draw latches on the lid to keep tight. The suspension is independent with 12" wheels. So far this trailer has hauled up to 250 lb. loads and a 1300 mile trip to deliver a 75 gal. fuel tank to a customer in northern Utah making the trip so much fun. For those who pull trailers, they will tell you that it opens many new doors on long trips. We are hooked for sure. This one is already up for sale in the classified as I'm starting a new one with air bag suspension and a few new items. Enjoy. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Awesome job & quality E-pig. Great pics as well, glad your back at it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
nice looking trailer, great work. if i were into trailering i would havt to have one of those but mine would be a camper setup

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys. As far as a camper setup I'm going to put one together soon. I have several people asking about them. One guy wants it to look like a mini air stream trailer.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
very nice looking trailer

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Nice job man! Like the idea of spare fuel in a safe manner:cool:

·
Registered
741 Posts
As a welder/fabricator myself, that is some beautiful work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, well. You have been busy jar head.
Thanks guys. This is what I like to do to stay busy. After the hart attack it gives new meaning to spare time. I try and not waste any of it. I'm now building more stuff for myself where before I never made time for me. Strange how it take a real shocker to get our attention.
:D

·
Registered
768 Posts
I love the attention to detail great job I am almost afraid to ask what you want for a great American made trailer like that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. New this one sells for $3000 with all the trim and fuel pump. Without all the wood and no fuel tank it's $1850.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are a few pics of the standard trailer I have built for riders that I meet on the road when traveling. This is $1850 with paint as close to match.
JD

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts