Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 GL1800 Goldwing. I installed the Honda audio kits into my helmets. I ride with a closed helmet and have no problem with the wind. My wife rides with an open helmet and the the wind noise is horrific. I tried installing a plastic wind deflector which helped a little, but when traffic is passing me, it still offers no relief. I ended up just lower the volume of the intercom. I'm thinking about purchasing a J&M GL1800 CB, Volume, Mic On/Off Passenger Controller. I'm looking for anybody's opinion about this device. I'm open for any suggestions.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
abc, I bought one for my 1500 & it works great. All the little lady does is flip on the little rocker switch on the bottom & talks, when she's done she can shut it off. Simple. Just a side note when she broadcasts on CB the switch can remain in the off position the CB push button overides it and in addition the switch doesn't affect her speakers.

There is always alternatives, one of those is mic mutes. Do a seach & you shoould find info.

·
Registered
515 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but did you adjust the mute level for the intercom? Since it is voice operated, perhaps the mic is staying open due to the wind?

I too have the passenger audio controller, works well, gives the wife the ability to control her own volume since I tend to wear ear plugs and crank the volume. Her biggist issue is turning off the mic and forgetting to turn it on when she wants to talk....or is that a bad thing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
449 Posts
did you adjust the mute level for the intercom? Since it is voice operated, perhaps the mic is staying open due to the wind?

QUOTE]

That was what happened to my better half and myself right after we got our Wing. Figured it out reading the manuel in a hotel room the 2nd night out. I agree with whacker....check this out. I also got the passanger volume/push to talk cb controller for my wife. I can crank it up and she can turn it down to suit herslf. It's well worth the money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Loud whining sound

I kept hearing a loud whining sound when I was on or off the bike and even when the bike was turned off. Then I realized it was my wife complaining about how much money I spent!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
GL1800 Intercom isn't working right

We have an '09 GL1800. I am the passenger and I'm having trouble hearing my husband. I'm using an inline volume control (HC-PBV) cord and have it up as high as it will go and I can barely hear him. He hears me very loudly because he has to have the intercom volume up all the way in order for me to hear him. We put a HC-PBV on his headset also and that helps, but not much. Also, he hears an extremely loud wind noise that I don't hear at all. My headset is super clear and quiet (flip front). His helmet is full face. We've changed out headsets to the tune of hundreds of dollars. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We had a GL1500 for years and never had this problem with the intercom.

·
Registered
179 Posts
abc, forget the windsock stuff....I tried it all including cutting the finger out of a latex glove to put over the mic. A mic-condon, if you will. I also have the J&M passenger audio/cb control and it works great. However, its very windy here and we still get wind noise so I'm looking at mic-mutes. Does anyone have experience with them ? Also, I got an audio noise suppression unit with the satellite radio set up which improved the sound. Used to get a whining noise particularly in 4th gear. And no, it wasn't the little lady!

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
jomarprop, 1st let me be the one to say Welcome to the site. Next let me ask you what may be a silly question. I'm not familiar with 1800's but are you sure that there isn't a mute button activated or the intercom volume mute isn't quite set right? My wife & I have no problem with our 1500 just like you & your hubby but she uses the cb push to talk volume controller. Just a thought & again greetings from PA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Fossil92 - We've played with all the mute and all the controls that are in the volume button, etc. We just got back from a ride - I put a latex finger on my mic and coincidently my mic went bad at the same time. I think I need a new headset and that might solve the problem. Before when I said we'd gone through hundreds of dollars of headsets, that was changing out my husband's. Maybe its been mine all along.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but did you adjust the mute level for the intercom? Since it is voice operated, perhaps the mic is staying open due to the wind?

I too have the passenger audio controller, works well, gives the wife the ability to control her own volume since I tend to wear ear plugs and crank the volume. Her biggist issue is turning off the mic and forgetting to turn it on when she wants to talk....or is that a bad thing :rolleyes:
How does one adjust the mute volumn on the intercom?

·
Registered
515 Posts
On the 1500SE there are a row of 5 rotary knobs on the audio panel, stereo on/off/volume, intercom on/off/volume, mute, Automatic Volume Control and tone. The mute adjusts the voice level needed to mute any other audio so the intercom can be heard more clearly through the headset. Set the level to low and the mics will stay open all the time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Oops, correction, set the mute to high and the mics stay open

·
Registered
179 Posts
dsobees, if it's a gl1800, turn on the intercom and then hit one of thhose big stereo knobs. Actually, push each one to toggle through various options. Cheers !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts