Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I think this has been addressed before...I ordered my Amsoil from Bob...Very fast delivery. I changed my oil from HP4 to AMSOIL 10-40. I went into it with the hopes that there would be little difference due to the price difference (about $15.00). I am amazed...runs smoother and shifts smoother. I Love this Stuff:) [email protected]$!#it!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
i'll be getting some amsol from bob in the spring

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I haven't tried Amsoil, but I noticed a definite difference when I switched to a high quality synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Totally happy with Amsoil. I was also very happy using the Golden Spectro 4 in my 1200 and 1500, but the Amsoil tested way better than Spectro now. I'd be very hard pressed to switch back to HP4 or anything else for that matter.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I'm going to run out my recent oil change with what I have and then go Amsoil. There is a local fellow who is a distributor here ( I hope he still is ). The problem I have with him is that he drives a tractor trailer across this state and that, so catching him home is a hit or miss. Would I pay $10 a quart for oil ? Economically speaking, no. Would I pay that for my Wing ? Surprisingly, my answer is YES.:D

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I always buy mine in advance. My distrib works shifts so I sometimes have trouble reaching him to order too.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The idea of smoother shifting sounds good to me, with the Amsoil how often do you do oil changes?
Not sure Bob...I change my oil every 4K

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I'm going to run out my recent oil change with what I have and then go Amsoil. There is a local fellow who is a distributor here ( I hope he still is ). The problem I have with him is that he drives a tractor trailer across this state and that, so catching him home is a hit or miss. Would I pay $10 a quart for oil ? Economically speaking, no. Would I pay that for my Wing ? Surprisingly, my answer is YES.:D
Mobil 1 Motorcycle Racing oil is $10.75 a quart at Walmart. I believe the Amsoil is worth that at least.

I have over 12,000 miles on my Mobil 1 Motorcycle Racing Oil and I am due for an oil change. It never needed a drop added. I bought a 4 quart bottle of Rotella T Synthetic that I was going to try, but I am considering Amsoil.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Honda recommends 4k miles or 6400 km. Amsoil says double that. I do mine once a year in the fall before storage.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Met a chap who helps me at a lumber yard who also is a distributor. If you guys say it's good, it's good enough for me too. The owner of the 1500 I bought says he's been using HP4 so I will switch to Amsoil too.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honda recommends 4k miles or 6400 km. Amsoil says double that. I do mine once a year in the fall before storage.
No Kidding 8K....WoW:)

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I change mine once a year with synthetic and replace the oil filter once in between. Last year, I did 15,000 miles, which is double what I normally do in a year. My 12,000 is quite a few, but I am not worried so much. Synthetic doesn't break down so fast and it still looks clear, but quite a bit darker than when it went in.

When I headed for Texas in December, I had 7,000 miles and six months and I put a little over 5,000 miles on it. I am over due for a change.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Amsoil for 1500

I am thinking of changing over my 1500 to Amsoil,what weight should I use? Has anyone had good luck with Amsoil?

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am thinking of changing over my 1500 to Amsoil,what weight should I use? Has anyone had good luck with Amsoil?
I use 10W40 for the 1800.....Loving it right now

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also use Amsoil 10-40, have in my 1500 and both my 1800's. I started using it when Niehaus Cycle Sales told me they use it on their dealer oil changes. I bought it from them and have used it ever since. I also went to Amsoil website and paid to be a preferred customer, and that allows you to purchase their products at dealer cost. I use their oil in my vehicles, my diesel tractor and all my toys.
I have racing 2stroke rc boats that spin over 18000 RPM and I use their Saber Professional oil along with their waterproof grease for the prop shafts. Its just an excellent lubricant. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am confused by that, my owner's manual says change over 8,000 using the Honda oil. I have read it and read it, as I found it hard to believe, I even took it to my dealer and he agreed that is what is says. Haven't decided yet what I am going to do, have 3000 on this oil change now, gotta make up my mind soon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know I will be blasted because of my last post about the owner manual saying change oil every 8 thousand miles, but look at page 72 in the owners manual. Says change oil and filter at 8,16,24,32,36,000 miles. And earlier in the book it recommends Honda oil. So that says to me, honda every 8,000. But it does scare the heck out of me. lol

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Sorry Jack, brain fart on my part. That's the initial oil change at 4k then 8k thereafter :eek:. I don't like having the oil go past a year's use and I rely on what I see on the dipstick when I check it. If it isn't clear anymore, I'd change it. But it's been 2 full seasons with just annual changes and the oil is still visibly very clear. I use it in my Duramax and I've gone to almost double the oil condition monitor (which is just a mileage approximation) on two changes and it still shows pretty clean on the stick when I dump it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.