Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I'm heading out bright and early tomorrow a.m. - looks like I might get wet a few times this weekend but it should be fun. Might even enter the "Ride 'em, Don't hide 'em" show on Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i've got a funeral saturday morning and the club is having their ride through saturday nite so i'm stuck in town

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Looks like a great event. I'll have to mark my calendar for next year. Family reunion this weekend prevents my attending. Have a great time and ride safe. Lots of nice riding through NY and PA. Enjoy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe not the worst weekend ever, but in the top 5...

So I rode down, almost 400 miles, and set up camp, then walked around the flea market for a while. Didn't see much for V4's, though I did see an '84 Sabre with 4000 miles on it that was in mint condition - guy wanted $900 for it! So I walk back to the campsite and decide I'll ride down into town for some dinner and the Wing won't start (has never had a problem since I got it). Run the battery down pretty quickly trying to start it, then decide I'm too tired to work on it. Wake up the next morning listening to the guy next to me cranking his Kaw until his battery dies. Another guy brings his 4-wheeler and jumper cables over and jumps the Kaw, then mine - starts right up. I figure I better go for a ride to charge it up. Make it to the front gate and it stalls and won't even turn over. Get guest services to jump me again, get to the road, it stalls, won't turn over. The battery's new this year, so now I'm thinking the worst - it's the stator.
I get the name of a Honda dealership close by (15 miles), then call for a tow truck. Oh, did I mention that it's pouring rain through some of this. Takes about 1 1/2 hours for the tow truck to show up, and off we go to the shop. They've got one mechanic on, so I go to lunch at the bar down the road, where this drunk woman (keep in mind, it’s about 11:30 a.m.) whose 4th husband is in prison tries to pick me up. I mean, there probably isn’t enough beer in the world to make me think about taking this chick on. I get back to the shop, he still hasn't looked at it. Take a nap in their waiting room, and he comes in shaking his head. Stator. Probably be about $1000 and a week. What am I going to do? I can’t just walk away from it. I could rent a truck (maybe), but it’s going to cost me almost as much if I get it home, and it’s not a job I want to tackle myself. Go ahead, order the parts…
So here I am, 400 miles from home, by myself, on foot, with a tent and stuff still at the track. There are only a handful of hotels in Mansfield. The Holiday Inn has one room, but they want $179. There’s a Comfort Inn, they have a room for $110, and the Blackberry says it’s 0.7 miles away. I start walking, carrying everything out of the trunk and bags. I look like a homeless person – all I really need is a shopping cart. That’s when the rain starts again. After about 20 minutes I check the blackberry again – looks like I must have walked right past the hotel. Backtrack and where the Comfort Inn is supposed to be is a municipal sewer repair department. Walk to the park in the center of town and sit in the gazebo to call the hotel. They’re actually about 4 miles away. Call Goog-411 and get a taxi. As we go by the $45 motel I had talked to earlier I have him turn around. The place is cheesy, but clean and hey, it’s only $45.
There are 2 or 3 rental car outfits in Mansfield, OH. They all close at 1:00 on Saturday, and only one is open on Sunday (from 11 – 2). Call the 800 number and they (Avis) have one car available, and it’s only $158 for a one-day, one-way rental to Rochester. Again, what am I going to do? I’ll take it.
Take a cab Sunday morning to Avis, drive back to the track and get the tent and stuff, and get back home about 6 last night. Now I’ve just got to figure out how I’m going to retrieve the Goldwing, and how I’m going to pay for it. Saw very little of the show, so I don’t know if I’m going to try again next year or not. Right now, the farther I am away from Mansfield, OH, the better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gettin' her back tomorrow!

Finally getting the Wing back tomorrow. She's been ready for a week, but I just arranged to get to Mansfield to get her back. Driving from Ft. Wayne (business trip) tomorrow - about 3 hours - dumping the rental car, getting a taxi to the shop, then riding the 6 hours back to Rochester. Weather looks good. It'll be a long day, but it'll be good to get her back home. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts