Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I've been out of the 2-wheel life for more than 20 years. My wife and I agreed that I would stay in 4-wheeled vehicles until our children were grown and out on their own.

That milestone is about to be reached...

I really want to get back on the road, and at my stage in life a Gold Wing looks like the way to go.

So... I think I am actually going to do this... get a bike and get back out on the road.

I am a newb in that I have been out of the market for a long, long time. I have so many questions... but here are a few to kick off my research. If anyone has any quick replies, or can point me in the right direction, I would be very much grateful. I am sure I need to ask a ton more questions... so I'm open to general advice as well.

* Bikes now have stereos and other electronic communication equipment. Plus, I see people chatting with their passenger with helmet mic's. Are these folks using after-market accessories they retro-fit into helmets, or are helmets now made with comm equipment built-in? I did not find anything on the Honda site discussing how to actually listen to the stereo or communicate with the Nav System (if one should go with that option). How can I learn more about these systems and the latest helmets?

* Where can I look to see the latest safety equipment (helmets, boots, jacket, etc)? Even though the kids are grown, my wife still wants me around for a while ;-)

* I am targeting the fall for my purchase, so I have 2-3 months to research and talk to people on the roads (I've already made a few contacts). In addition to these forums, what should I be reading? Where should I go?

Thanks.

Steve

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
First off welcome to the forum......you are doing the right thing by doing research.

As for your question about the comm equipment in the helmets...yes they are aftermarket and you have to install them in the helmets. Most helmets have a place for them to be installed. I would go to a local Honda dealer and shop for the helmet that bests suits you. That way you can try them on to see what fits.

Most wings that have the factory audio system has the intercom already. You just plug your headset into the jack and you can talk to your passenger and listen to music and talk on the CB (if your wing has one).

Here is a link to read about Goldwing History........www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/drwCustom.php?page=goldwing_history

Also a used buyers guide.......www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm

Hope this helps some......course if you have any question just ask away....there are plenty of good people on here that will give you good answers.

Ride Safe Always !!

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Hi Steve and welcome to the GWOF. Yep, taking some time to do your research and buying at/after the close of the season for most of us is how you'll snag a good deal on exactly what you want. Good to have you back on the road soon!

I used to live in NC and so looked forward to the Shenandoah Valley in the spring and fall after a ride up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and then the "fall" into NC from Galax, VA. Many great memories with my kids in your backyard.

Oh yeah, keep an eye on bikes for sale in this forum. There have been some nice ones recently at fair prices.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Steve welcome aboard. There are many differing opinions/answers to your questions. I would check into a club or group in your area and attend one of their get togethers. This way you'll also get to see, hear, and observe different options. You'll find Goldwingers to be a very friendly bunch

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Hello and welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF. Good info already, take your time to learn the differences in the years & models. There are a lot of Good used wings for sale out there.

If you have any questions just ask away like you've started already & people will respond.

Good Luck on your search.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
hello steve, welcome to GWOF. firts get licensed, take an mfs course in your area

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Hanging out here is contagious as it usually results in getting a Wing or two.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Welcome to site Steve....

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search for your perfect Wing..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. Great information to help me with my research.

Just a few comments in response...

... Thanks for all of the welcome messages. I can tell I have found a wealth of people who are willing to share a wealth of information.

... I have a license, but yes, I plan to retake the safety course.

... I will check into a local club/group.

... Thanks for the tip on watching to forums for bikes for sale.

Back to my research!

Steve

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Steve, welcome to the Forum! Chopin and I met via this forum and you're not very far from both of us (uh-oh! ;) ) Chopin is in Centreville and I'm in Woodbridge.

He and I ride with the Southern Cruisers Riding Club (Manassas Chapter 475), as they are not bike specific and are a family oriented group. Good group of friendly folks who just enjoy riding, so you may want to consider that. I do more riding with them than Chopin does as he has work schedule issues tha cause conflicts on Saturdays.

As far as the safety course, look towards the community college. There are courses taught at the Leesburg campus and at Potomac Mills. They're in the neighborhood of $300.00 for the course, if memory serves.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Welcome Steve. Glad you still want to take a refresher even though you are licensed. As far as gear goes, drop into a well stocked dealership in your area and talk with one of the staff there to get some first hand info and hands on knowledge of how things have changed and improved since you last rode. However, don't get in a hurry with things and succumb to any sales pitch, you're on an information hunt not a buying spree (yet). You can spned a lot of dough on gear, but you can also make some very wise and cost effective decisions with the right amount of research before hand. Due dilligence my friend.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF Steve, all the best in your search for your dream machine.

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
Chopin:

I am just outside Winchester...

Steve
Stop by Shenandoah Honda and bring the wife. Put her and yourself on a Wing there on the sales floor . That is what I did back in 2009. She said OK. Now it became a matter of her choice of color. I had never rode a Wing and I only returned to riding in 06 with a 1300 VTX. I found my 08 in the color of her choice locally on Craig's List. Coincidentally, the fellow I bought it from had purchased it in February 09 from Shenandoah Honda and I took it off his hands in November 09. The size of the Wing intimidated me for awhile until I realized that the Wing knew what she was doing and I just had to go along for the ride.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Steve, Although I too am a newbie, may I offer a little advice from a 'newbie' standpoint? I returned to riding about 12 years ago (Honda Shadow A.C.E. - appx 550 lbs). I traded it in for a 2005 Goldwing about two months ago; thinking a bike is a bike, right? Wrong. The 'Wing weighs almost twice as much as the Shadow did and I don't mind admitting that I was scared to death to ride this 'beast.' I really thought I was in over my head, but took it out daily for short rides. I drove like a little ole lady; very slow and practiced stopping and starting a lot on residential streets. I'm finally starting to get over my fear and even took it on the highway for a 100 mile round trip at super slab speeds. Don't take this message wrong...I'm not trying to scare you or question your decision to purchase a Goldwing. I'm just trying to point out that for us new guys, it may take some getting used to. I took the MSF beginner's course again and I have the DVD "Ride Like A Pro" on order. It contains many tips and tricks for slow speed riding. I've also read the book "Maximum Control-Mastering Your Heavyweight Bike" by Pat Hahn (many tips on riding large bikes). I love my 'Wing and am slowly getting used to it's characteristics; especially at low speeds, but until I get REALLY comfortable, I'm trying to avoid heavily trafficed streets.
Until you get used to the torque in first gear, you can easily start from a dead stop in second gear, and when you practice slow speed manuevers (U-turns and such) you can use second gear instead of first. For comfort, convenience, power and enjoyabilbity (is there such a word?), you cannot beat a Goldwing. Good luck in your search, and let us all know when you 'pull the trigger.' Oh, and we'd all like to see pictures of the new bike when you do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts