Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I appreciate the opportunity to pick your collective brains before I possibly make a big mistake.

I'm 45 years old and haven't owned or even ridden a bike for 25 years. If it matters, I'm 5'9" tall and solidly built, fairly strong. Good legs and hips, but arthritic neck and upper back (not debilitating).
I can turn wrenches (replace auto water pumps, belts, brakes/rotors, alternators, starters, install electronics, etc.) but I am not an "accomplished mechanic".

Found a 1982 Aspencade with 84k miles on Craigslist. Carbs recently been rebuilt, prob need synchronizing (?), missing stereo, broken speedo cable. Guy wanted $3200 to start, we negotiated, he's at $1750 now. I can maybe get him off another hundred, so let's say $1650. I get the feeling he bought it to flip a big profit but it's not working out too well for him. I know he bought the bike within the last 90 days, off Craigslist also; the original owner's ad was still up.

Bike would be bought so the wife and I to go on less than 3 hour expeditions, probably. A way to just get away and spend time together.

Opinions, please:

1) is the idea of picking up such a massive machine a bad idea?
2) am I asking for headaches buying such an old bike?

If #1 is "No" but #2 is "Yes", then how much newer do I need to go before #2 becomes a "No"?

I meet with him Tuesday afternoon...

Thank you so much!
Cheers!

·
Registered
53 Posts
first thing your never too old, i am 47 bad back, knee issues,, but love to ride, i am a cheap person and i might be wrong but with the issues that your talking that the bike needs sound like to me its a 1200.00 bike but like i said i might be wrong but if it looks real good and runs out great it could be a great deal when we looked for our wing i wanted one that needed a little work, so it would fit into my budget,i got a 77 for 500.00
it came with 2 motors,i had to replace one of the heads this took me about 2 hrs with no knowledge of what i was doing( now i have a manual) but anyways if you get it i hope you will be able to ride it for years to come, ride safe

·
Registered
17 Posts
mistake

I was in the same boat several months ago and did the research on what I thought I would be happy with. I had a bike a long time ago and wanted a big bike just so my wife could occasionally go.The longer I looked and researched the more I was lead to the 1500 series of Goldwing. All my buddies tried to steer me away from the earlier bikes because of the improvements made over time to the engine and accessories available (wife wanted an intercom/stereo) I found my bike on craigslist for 5500 bucks with low miles. The 97 I bought is a little older than a new one but the price made the decision a little easier.I was looking in 5 states on craigslist and you can get a pretty good idea of what people are asking for the different year models. I found an 86 fully loaded for 2800 bucks and several more like it. I was surprised by my 97 motorcycle...it isnt the power and speed but the broad powerband I really love the thing is almost like driving an automatic at times. and it handles me and the wife with ease... dont jump until you read steve saunders history of the goldwing listing all the changes over the lifetime of the goldwing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
What you have to ask yourself is a 82 Wing that needs work going to get you what you want . It sounds like you just want to ride and with your neck and upper back to me at least it sounds like the less work and more play is what the Doctor has prescribed. I have seen many 82- 83 Goldwings go for cheep because of the nature of work that was needed that being said older Goldwings or any motorcycle has had every Tom Dick and Henry messing around with it. So you may find lots of things wrong with it due to the previous owners or mechanics. So if you get the bike for $1650 and can do all the work it needs yourself you might be ok. but if you have to bring it to the dealer to repair it be ready to toss lots of money at it. personally I would save up some more cash and buy a newer smaller bike as you only want to go on three hour trips or so this can be done on a many affordable bikes that are much easier to work on. the other things to consider is there parts that need to be replaced that are no longer being made? check the parts availability on this bike before you buy because you may end up with a $1650 Garage ornament.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

First of all, welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I am 58 years old and have no trouble handling this large of a motorcycle. You shouldn't either.

I understand the desire to get a bike this time of year and particularly one that can handle two up riding so that you and your wife can ride together. The desire to do this in one step is quite strong. In my opinion, this is a big mistake on two counts. First off, you need to be motorcycle trained and conditioned prior to putting a passenger on your motorcycle. The safe way to do this is to take a motorcycle safety course and then buy an intro sized motorcycle. Something that you can handle and enjoy riding for the remainder of this season. A Honda 750 Shadow, Suzuki Volusia/Boulevard 800 cc or even the 650. The Yamaha 650 or even the Kawasaki 500 are all good motorcycles, maintain their resale value quite well and are suited for a new rider. You will enjoy the motorcycling experience on this size of bike.

After you are confident of your riding skills and have tasted the road enough to know you still want a big bike, then start shopping for a big road bike. In my opinion, an 82 that needs work is worth very little. There are a tremendous amount of good quality motorcycles for sale out there. You just have to take your time and do the research.

I would recommend that you look at a 1500. It is a proven motorcycle, was made for 13 years and has a boat load of used parts available. The 1500 is proven technology that is still being used by many riders.

Another point... if you are serious about a owning a Goldwing. I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. Before you join, just attend a chapter meeting. Ask questions and you will find all the advice one would ever need, and more than likely someone would know of an excellent motorcycle available from a member who no longer rides due to health or whatever.

When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and like the members of this forum, they know their motorcycle.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

Good luck with your adventure. I would bet that just starting out asking these types of questions, you are a person who does their research first. That is very different than most people who buy motorcycles. Those people often end up seriously hurt or worse. I know of a few and heard of several, who bought a Harley or Wing and headed out onto the big frontier and never made it home.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well said larry

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Because of the nature of the recent purchase and then turn around sale I would be hesitant to buy this bike. There are a lot of good used bikes out there that could meet your need. The older the bike the more need of repairs and the harder to get parts. If I were starting out I would look at a 1500 (1988-2000) simply because parts are more readily available and abundance of bikes for sale. JMHO.

OH, and welcome to the forum from Pa. If you update your profile and location we will know where you hang your hat. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I cannot give you much input on the bike part of your question but I must say I am 54 years old 5'6 with a disc problem in my back still work 10 hours every day on my feet so not that bad.

I waited about 30 years to get my 1986 gl1200 aspy (Stella) and she now has her last home. Just got it a couple of months ago and have had bikes off and on since I was 18
Sold my last bike about 10 years ago when I found out about my back Should not have listened to the doctor when he said my back was going to stop me from doing anything.

Anyway back on track I took the motorcycle safey class last month and learned a couple of things but have no trouble handling Stella two up riding.

But I would think for a few more dollars you could get a newer one that needed less work.
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
well i won't tell you to go buy a smaller bike. why ? because one of my good friends has been riding for 6 or 7 years now. his first bike was an '85 gl 1200 aspencade. he was new to riding at the time and now ridea a 1500 wing so i am not going to discourage you from getting a wing but do take the mfs course in your area, take a look on craigslist in your area and find you a wing in the best shape possable for the money you are willing to spend and make sure you are comfortable and confident before taking the wife as a passenger

·
Registered
768 Posts
The problem with Wings verses smaller bikes is not the size in fact I find larger bikes just as easy to ride as any bike.the problem is the wing is a luxury bike with lots of bells and whistles that one add to the cost of the bike and two add more to take off and work around when there is a problem IE the Tupperware the bike is a 82 which means it has seen more than its share of fun in the sun, and the sun as we all know too well will slowly turn your flexible plastic into a fragile breakable expensive part while it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that when you have to remove many of these fragile pieces over and over to perform a simple repair its just a matter of time before your out shopping for new replacement parts that on another type of bike these parts simply do not exist. So when you are on a budget and really want a bike keep it simple get a motorcycle not one of our beloved land yachts from yesteryear that will put you out of your budget and leave you with out something to ride. if your heart is set on a Goldwing get a newer one you wont be disappointed like you will be with a 82. That being said there are 82 Goldwings with many more miles left on them that have been well taken care of and maybe even a one owner that you can get with your budget but the one described in the post is not one of them.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i'm not saying he should buy the '82 he's been looking at thats why i stated " go buy the best wing you can for the money you are willing to spend " cause it sounds more like he wants a wing he can just swing a leg over and go riding

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
First of all the bike isn't that heavy, plus you don't carry it around :D
I would be leary of if because parts are hard to come by for older wings. If he dropped the price that much he wants to get rid of it. If the stator is bad, which it probably is, the motor has to come out to replace it. If you can get it real cheap, about $500.00 and do all the work yourself if might be worth it. I had a friend that bought an 1100 Gold Wing that had been in storage for several years, he rebuilt it from front to back, everything new, after a year he got it on the road, rode it for about a week and decided it was not comfortable fopr him so he sold it and bought a 1500 Gold Wing. That is what I would suggest you do. Get a nice 1500 Wing and ride it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all.

It seems there is a common theme to the responses. I think that I would regret buying this bike. I think I'll pass.

I feel good about buying a GoldWing though, but I will investigate the 1500s. Great advice and solid reasons to back it up, again, thank you!

As far as starting on a smaller bike...maybe. :) Probably not though, as I do feel pretty confident, even though I haven't ridden in so long. As a young man I owned a 500 Shadow, a CB750 Custom (complete with bald eagle head mural!), and then had possession of, and rode daily, a 1981 CBX (1000). Gawd, that CBX was FUN!...I was 20 years old...!

Well, thanks again. Take care.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
In our state, the motorcycle safety course is subsidized by the state, they provide the motorcycle for driving practice and when you have completed the course, the only thing you have to do to get your motorcycle endorsement is pay the fee at the DMV office. I believe the course is $125 and is 8 hours of written and riding instruction.

Well worth the money and effort and strongly recommended by anyone who has attended that course.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
A lot of good advice already given. I would shy away due to the broken speedometer cable. It might have broke 100,000 miles ago! :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland , i think your at the perfect age to start riding again

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
welcome to the site, and yes keep searching. Out there somewhere is a GL that's dying to sing to you

·
Registered
17 Posts
craigslist

I have the craigslist pro app on my i phone it allows you to search in multiple cities in your area. I looked in 5 states and it gave me a better idea of what was out there. Also helped save me a thousand bucks, guy I bought the bike off of started telling me about low miles, one of a kind, etc... I just showed him my phone where i could get the same bike elsewhere for less...he came down on the price pretty quick and it made the HAGGLE a little easier lol

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I go along with Larry here, a 900 lbs bike is a big bike for a first timer. Over the years a couple of friends bought some nice wings from people that bought them for a first bike and were overwhelmed by the size and weight. Also yes on the MSF course.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

1 - 20 of 29 Posts