Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Niece and Nephew, my normal partners on long rides think I'm nuts! They're younger and don't seem to worry too much about planning for a road trip that may last from one to six weeks.

Just because I make a Trip Inventory of all the items I pack for a trip. Everything from socks to gloves, rain gear, cold weather gear, tools, tire repair tools, air compressor, first aid kit, Ipods, cell phone, camera, maps, etc. Not only do I make an itemized list, I also list the location where each item is located in the saddle bags or trunk. However, I do tend to pack too much. Halfway through a trip I tend to send anything home that I haven't used, ex., extra boots, trousers, a helmet (I bought a new, lighter one) and gifts I tend to buy for younger nephews and nieces.

Does anyone out there make Trip Inventories? Maybe I am nuts. :)

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
The younger generation is looking forward to an unknown adventure; the older generation is trying to preempt the unknown part.

·
Registered
183 Posts
not yet but I like the idea, I have started a list i got from a web site that seams like a good starting point to build off of to make my own personal list. I don't know about listing locations for packing. I believe i will have my list in hand and everything on spread out in my shop floor and pack for ease of access and priority

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
no list every town i go to i just buy new stuff

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
You are not nuts. If you are by yourself try and cover as many things as posiable. The list you just gave is what I have. I bet the bike will be serviced, tires checked, bike cleaned and you know when you set off you have prepared as much as posiable. Water is always a must carry. Coming home last trip it was 105f and we were close to the sea and inland was hotter. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
My Niece and Nephew, my normal partners on long rides think I'm nuts! They're younger and don't seem to worry too much about planning for a road trip that may last from one to six weeks.

Just because I make a Trip Inventory of all the items I pack for a trip. Everything from socks to gloves, rain gear, cold weather gear, tools, tire repair tools, air compressor, first aid kit, Ipods, cell phone, camera, maps, etc. Not only do I make an itemized list, I also list the location where each item is located in the saddle bags or trunk. However, I do tend to pack too much. Halfway through a trip I tend to send anything home that I haven't used, ex., extra boots, trousers, a helmet (I bought a new, lighter one) and gifts I tend to buy for younger nephews and nieces.

Does anyone out there make Trip Inventories? Maybe I am nuts. :)
I plan and read journals about others plans. Then plan again. "He who fails to plan, plans to fail":)

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Hi T-Rex,

You sound like a fan of Zen and the Art of Motorcylce Maintenance, a book I found very influential when I was 20 years old. Eric knows that you don't mess with The Outback. I have ridden Death Valley by myself, in summer! Those who do not prepare for eventualities are like Frank Gorshen in The Outlaw Josey Wales. Josey (Clint Eastwood) said, "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!"

Tatanka

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Hi T-Rex,

You sound like a fan of Zen and the Art of Motorcylce Maintenance, a book I found very influential when I was 20 years old. Eric knows that you don't mess with The Outback. I have ridden Death Valley by myself, in summer! Those who do not prepare for eventualities are like Frank Gorshen in The Outlaw Josey Wales. Josey (Clint Eastwood) said, "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!"

Tatanka
You are better than me with reading Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance at 20 years old. If you could have seen what I use to carry 30 years ago..... Even I laugh now. I even had wheel bearings and the funny thing was when a wheel bearing went on a trip I had stopped carrying them. That was about 5 years ago. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Brother Eric,

If I were heading into the Outback, I would trailer another bike, plus about 20-30 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of water! Not a place to fool around, from what I've heard!

Tatanka

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
My first trip across the Nullabor which was on a CL350 1971 Honda I had a rack made up on the back of the bike and I had 5 ltrs of gas on one side and 5ltrs of water the other side. Tin food for 5 days and even had a brand new rear tire spare tubes and patches. The road back then was dirt for 800 miles and full of bull dust. Eric

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
T-Rex this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion & I have 2 words for your concern.

Smart Man

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
To quote one of the guys who helped teach me this fire stuff;
"Hoping for the best is not a plan."
T.W., ICT1

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I have a 'short list' for when I'm on my own, and then there is the 'real list' for when it's two up with the missus. It's not so much for what to bring, but what to strike off the list that she 'wants' to bring. We don't trailer anymore so it's just what the bike's system will hold. She gets the trunk and a saddlebag, and I get the other saddlebag:rolleyes: Rain gear and bike cover (if I think I'm going to need the cover) and feather weight stuff in the rack bag on the trunk. All maintenance and bike checks are done during the week prior to leaving and the final walk-around the morning of just to be sure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not Nuts, Just Old :)

You are not nuts. If you are by yourself try and cover as many things as posiable. The list you just gave is what I have. I bet the bike will be serviced, tires checked, bike cleaned and you know when you set off you have prepared as much as posiable. Water is always a must carry. Coming home last trip it was 105f and we were close to the sea and inland was hotter. Eric
OMG another Virgo in the room. :) Went throug St. Louis last June, temp was 105 degrees, told my niece to carry water, "Thats okay Uncle Mike, I don't need it"? Going through Nebraska (117 degrees) and later South and North Dakota (low 100's ) I was carrying two large bottles of water. My niece finally agreed to carry a bottle of water when I told her if you break down out here there's nothing for miles and miles and very little traffic, which I'm sure may not stop for a motocyclists on the side of the road. I could be wrong here but then again I'm from Florida and down here it's a 50-50 chance of getting mugged...or worse. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are better than me with reading Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance at 20 years old. If you could have seen what I use to carry 30 years ago..... Even I laugh now. I even had wheel bearings and the funny thing was when a wheel bearing went on a trip I had stopped carrying them. That was about 5 years ago. Eric
It always happens that way. I quit buying extra stuff because when it came time to need it, I had forgotten I'd bought it. :)
Saw a feature on the Discovery Channel about the outback and the number of kangroos hit on a daily basis by vehicle travelling cross country...even a small roo would kill someone on a motorcycle. I'd love to visit Down Under, almost did when I was in Vietnam, but things changed and I didn't make it. Ride Safe

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My first trip across the Nullabor which was on a CL350 1971 Honda I had a rack made up on the back of the bike and I had 5 ltrs of gas on one side and 5ltrs of water the other side. Tin food for 5 days and even had a brand new rear tire spare tubes and patches. The road back then was dirt for 800 miles and full of bull dust. Eric
That's Incredible!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trip Inventory and Living Will

Dug out a trip inventory from July and August 2010 and though I would boor you'all. :)

Electronics: Cell Phone, Notebook Computer, Camera, GPS, Sun Pass, 2- Ipods and a Cpap machine (Sleep Apnea) plus all the charging cords, head phones, etc that goes with the above.

Clothes, 2 pair boots, sneakers, flipflops, long johns, doo-rags, 3 pr gloves, sunglasses, cold weather gear, ball cap, rain gear, lightweight long sleeve shirts for hot, sunny days, complete change of clean clothes for 5 days, etc.

Tools and Misc: mini air compressor, tubeless tire repair kit, metric hex keys and wrenches, tape, bungee cords/nets, flashlights, maps, notebook, pens, jacket lock, cane, multi-tool, firearms,bike cover, 1st Aid Kit, Plexiclean with clothes and a little more than I really need.

Of course I have to take Meds and shaving kit. My jacket lock mentioned above is a 3ft long lock. When I leave my jacket on my bike I run one end of the lock through a sleeve and then lock it to the bike.

Of course I travel by myself and I do ship items I haven't used in the first couple of weeks home...plenty of pack and ship places on the road. :) However, don't make a mistake I made when I shipped home a box of goodies from Custer, South Dakota and realized later that $100.00 bill was in one of my shoes. :) At least I got a little present when I got home a month later.

The Post Office holds mail for 30 days, if you call them they'll extend that time. If I go over a month, I get a nephew to pick up my mail. All bills are prepaid or payable on computer (my mini notebook works great for this.) before I depart. I messed up one time and missed a bill, the credit card company charged me a $35.00 late fee. My fault because I forgot to arrange payment in advance for a card I rarely used, I cancelled the card not because the card company did anything wrong but I was angry for screwing up. :)

One other item that may not be pleasant for some folks: In my left saddle bag I carry an envelope with my Living Will and Instructions (DNR if I'm a turnip) on what to do in the case of Accident or Death. This may creep you out but, alas, planning is not only for the living. What are your plans if you get wiped out on the road? I'll leave you with that unpleasant but possible thought. Take Care,
That's it for now, Nap Time.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I read about some folks who pack old underware and socks and throw away the worn ones each day, thus decreasing their clothes inventory. I personally like synthetic travel clothes for trips (one to wash, one to wear) as I wash underware and t-shirts in the hotel sink and are usually dry the next morning. I wear textile riding pants commando style and therefore a pair of jeans worn only at night can last me a week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts