Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my 2010 GW...I am thinking about the trip of my life...driving from Wisconsin to Alaska...the trip would not occur until next year Summer 2011...lots of planning...

Has any one done a long trip of this nature...3800 miles one way....Any one gone from the lower states to Alaska...are the roads in good shape or gravel...what can I expect....

Beginning my trip planning....

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Mark, I for one do not think your nuts. I told a couple of people that if Mrs. Fossil has to fly home due to some unforseen circumstance on this trip I would probably scoot up into Alaska for a short time just to do it. Her work is the reason we're only going for a month.

What I would do if I was you would be do some web searching on the subject. Check with authors like Ron Ayers or Dale Coyner.

Try this site to check out some reading material.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/books?SID=vn9367squgbgim750h0chsun00&p=1

GO FOR IT!!:D

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Now that I have my 2010 GW...I am thinking about the trip of my life...driving from Wisconsin to Alaska...the trip would not occur until next year Summer 2011...lots of planning...

Has any one done a long trip of this nature...3800 miles one way....Any one gone from the lower states to Alaska...are the roads in good shape or gravel...what can I expect....

Beginning my trip planning....
So, let me get this straight... You are asking folks who love motorcycles (us) if we think you are nuts for:

A. Taking the trip of a lifetime
B. Riding on the best motorcycle for touring
C. Going to a place which most of us will never see but can only dream about

DUH...... Seems like a no brainer to me. I would never go!!!!! LOL... Go man go. Do like Fossil is doing now. Make the plans and get out there and go.... And make sure you take lots of pics for us who can't get there ourselves.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Find " bstar " on this forum. Speaking of which, I haven't read him lately ? He lives up in British Columbia. If anyone on here would know that route, it should be him. " Paging bstar! Come in bstar......."

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Nine more years (retirement) and I'll be taking this trip. Want to hear all everyone has to say on it. There is a car ferry that you can take up there and ride back. Which is what I have been thinking of; riding across the bottom, up the west side, boat trip up to Alaska, riding across Canada and coming back down through Michigan.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Abso-freaking-lutely GO If you don't take the route past Bstar's place, I live right off Hwy 2 which is the Canadian leg of the Alaskay Highway. We don't have the scenery here that Bstar's region has, but the road is great for eating up the miles. Just be prepared for the "unverified road" sections on the GPS display (jeezarastafranitcorpafizzit) every couple minutes while in the wilds of Western Canada. Any Wingers from Alaska care to comment if the Navi works up there?
Anyway back to your trip. Let us know how the plans go, and for goodness sake if you come my way, or towards Bstar's place (ok ta volunteer ya right B?) PM us and we'll certainly do all we can to assist you. If timing works maybe we can take a couple days (Bstar's retired I think) and share the ride with you. There's lots of room at my place if you need a crash-pad for a night's sleep without hotel or camp, hot meal & cold beverage (the detail order is open to negotiation:D).

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
That's #1 on my bucket list,

you are only nuts if you don't go:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Budoka...Thanks for the words....I will definitely look you up as I take the trip to Alaska...it will be next summer....going to take some shorter trips this year to get a good feel for the new bike....don't want to wear it out in the first year :D

Safe Ride....:)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Budoka...Thanks for the words....I will definitely look you up as I take the trip to Alaska...it will be next summer....going to take some shorter trips this year to get a good feel for the new bike....don't want to wear it out in the first year :D

Safe Ride....:)
I know a guy who did it twice and if I remember correctly, he said there is a couple hundred miles of gravel road you will have to ride on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts