Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum. I did a search but did not find any helpful info. I have a 2013 goldwing. It has 1 antenna on the trunk. FM reception is very poor and while when we are riding outside of town or touring we use our phone for playlists. I do like to listen to local radio around town. I would like to have a second antennae to balance the look and to improve the FM reception but I am no having any luck. I’ve seen a few posts about under seat and behind seat antennae’s that’s helped with reception but I want an external matching look to the existing (CB?) whip antennae. Does the current antennae function as AM-FM and CB or is it CB only and is there a matching external add on AM-FM antennae to increase reception. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum. I did a search but did not find any helpful info. I have a 2013 goldwing. It has 1 antenna on the trunk. FM reception is very poor and while when we are riding outside of town or touring we use our phone for playlists. I do like to listen to local radio around town. I would like to have a second antennae to balance the look and to improve the FM reception but I am no having any luck. I’ve seen a few posts about under seat and behind seat antennae’s that’s helped with reception but I want an external matching look to the existing (CB?) whip antennae. Does the current antennae function as AM-FM and CB or is it CB only and is there a matching external add on AM-FM antennae to increase reception. Thanks.
I hear ya
...i have an 03 gw..1800 and when i purchased from a private owner , he broke the antenna , ...so he said he buy another and ship it to me ....his called and said antenna is on its way ...so hopefully tomorrow, the latest monday ..once i put it on , ill tell how my reception it ...

·
Registered
248 Posts
One simple thing to try is - unthread the antenna mast and clean up the threads, they are probably rusty and corroded. Clean out the hole as best you can, and thread the antenna back in. That sometimes goes a long way toward improving reception.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
The CB antenna goes on the left side of the bike, if a CB is installed (it is an option). The antenna on the right side of the bike is for the FM for sure and maybe the AM/WB parts of the radio. FM is generally much shorter in range that AM, so if the station you want to listen to is more than about 40 miles away you might want to consider an FM radio booster. There are lots of them on the market.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a 2012 and the reception is good. An FM booster will not help if the signal is weak getting to the antenna.
Make sure the antenna is plugged completely into the audio unit. Pull it out and reseat it.
Also, make sure the ground strap on the antenna inside the trunk is not broken. Runs from the antenna to a bolt on the bottom of the trunk.
Do you have a full size size antenna for the FM. The CB antenna, if you have it, has load coil about halfway up.The FM antenna does not. You say you only have one antenna and then say you have a CB.
Post a picture of what's on your bike.
100_0235.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, I only have 1 antenna on the right side. I assumed it was the CB because there are controls for the CB on the handlebar, although I have not tried to use the CB. Based on what I read on some older posts I thought the AM/FM was not the long antennae and that was for the CB only. One response to my post indicated that if it had only one antennae then it does not have a CB. So based on that it appears I need to focus on the existing antennae and examine contacts and ground. I have had it for 3 weeks but haven’t had a chance to really get in to it, it has 17k on it and other than taking in to a dealer and having the 16k recommended maintenance done on it I’ve been focused on getting Bluetooth and usb power up front. Just order the parts to do that this week. FM is only needed around town but I get good quality from our autos FM and not even sure if it is realistic to compare car FM to bike FM reception.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks for the input, I only have 1 antenna on the right side. I assumed it was the CB because there are controls for the CB on the handlebar, although I have not tried to use the CB. Based on what I read on some older posts I thought the AM/FM was not the long antennae and that was for the CB only. One response to my post indicated that if it had only one antennae then it does not have a CB. So based on that it appears I need to focus on the existing antennae and examine contacts and ground. I have had it for 3 weeks but haven’t had a chance to really get in to it, it has 17k on it and other than taking in to a dealer and having the 16k recommended maintenance done on it I’ve been focused on getting Bluetooth and usb power up front. Just order the parts to do that this week. FM is only needed around town but I get good quality from our autos FM and not even sure if it is realistic to compare car FM to bike FM reception

My bike gets about the same reception as my truck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They all have the CB controls, but that doesn't mean they have a CB.

Just unscrew the antenna mast and screw it back in, it will take 30 seconds and you'll know if that's your problem, then you can take it back off and clean up the threads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts