Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope it don't come in 3's >>>
Brother has 90 SE 1500, Friend has 89 Aspencade 1500.
Both batteries are good, been checked out .

Both are doing the same thing. Fire up engine, run down road about ten minutes, then bike dies. Will not crank, but can get jumped off.
After one puts bike on charger for awhile. Bike cranks and go like new, for another ten or so minutes and same thing. I said it probobly the alternator.
So what we did was. Charged up battery to full. Started bike. While bike is running, removed battery post. BIKE DIES. INSTANTLY....
I am saying it is the alternator. Both are doing the same thing.

What would you say is the problem?

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
If you got a volt meter you can check to see if the Alternator is putting anything out. Charge battery, start bike and measure across the battery. You should be reading over 13 volts with engine running. Could be just stuck brushes. I seen several stock 1500 alternator die.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Brushes are cheap and you can do it yourself.
1995 and earlier had the better alternators from what I understand.
Part# 31101-MN5-005 BRUSH, ALTERNATOR

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
As Trike Lady said, brushes are cheap but they are soldered on, the 1500 wing has a reputation for the brushes sticking after about 70,000 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
A wired in voltmeter on a 1200 and 1500 are a must have IMO.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
A quick test to check for sticking brushes is to literally hit it with a stick. Just tap the side of the alternator with the bike running and a meter hooked up and see if the voltage goes back up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts