Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so we just paid out over $2500 to get the trike fixed on May 2nd. Now it won't start. :( Dan put the tester on the battery and it reads under 12 volts (this was a new one we had put in). Does anyone know if it could be the alternator?

Ride with the angels surrounding you.
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
IF you think it's the alternator the way to test it is to start the bike and measure the voltage at idle then bring the rpm's up to around 3000, your voltage should increase to around 14 volts. If you see very little change in voltage from idle to 3000 rpm's then I would look real hard at the alternator and charging circuit.
First, did the work you had done on the bike involve any electronics? The white wire from the alternator is what charges the battery, it runs through the 55 amp (dogbone) fuse located just to the right of the battery. Check the fuse and the connections.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi terry. Dan put the charger on
It and voltage went back up. Then
It started and while it was running the voltage started going back down. We had clutch, timing belts, front forks and battery done.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the regulator/rectifier sent bad.
Hi my friend. I was thinking you were going to say that LOL!!! We got it up to Cycle Center and they are going to check it out. He told us if it was something that came up that wasn't their fault he would help us out, give us a discount. So we'll see. See when you get a job and move here to Texas you already have paying customers in us!!!! Take care and know there are lots of prayers for your next journey in life!!
Ride with the angels surrounding you!!
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
There are a few things with the 1500's alternator that can give you problems, I'd first have them check the brushes in the alternator, they do have the tendency to stick now and then, which will give the impression of no charging from the alternator. Like TrikeLady said, it could also be the regulator/rectifier unit. Do you still have the OEM alternator installed on the bike or have you upgraded it to a higher amperage alternator?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a few things with the 1500's alternator that can give you problems, I'd first have them check the brushes in the alternator, they do have the tendency to stick now and then, which will give the impression of no charging from the alternator. Like TrikeLady said, it could also be the regulator/rectifier unit. Do you still have the OEM alternator installed on the bike or have you upgraded it to a higher amperage alternator?
Hi Terry,
First let me say thank you for taking care of all of us during your military service. My husband was fortunate enough not to have to go to VietNam (he stayed state side) but his brother and alot of our friends did go. So I always try hard to say thank you.
As far as we know it has the original alternator on it. We never got any maintenance records on it, bought it from a shop the next town over from us. The guy said it was all checked over, nothing wrong. :( We took it back a couple times before the 30 day warranty was up, he continued to say it was fine-basically just our imagination. Trike Lady gave us a name of someone here and we took it to him-made some great friends with him and his wife-and he told us what he felt it could be. He did not have the tools to fix it but recommended the shop we took it too. They found out it was the same as our friend said. We had them fix things including changing out the timing belts since we didn't have any maintenance records. We have it at the shop again and are waiting to hear what they say. Our friend said he could do the alternator for us to help save us some money. So once again it is a wait and see thing. Appreciate all the advice-I never turn advice/help or friendship down :) Will update as I find out.
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Let's hope it is something simple, alternator replacements are not that difficult to do, takes about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't heard anything yet but our friend told us to let them know what is found before we let the shop fix it. If it is the alternator he can get it for us and put it in and save us money. We just wanted to let the shop check it out first since they worked on it. They said it could be different things such as the alternator or maybe the timing belts that were put on weren't hitting the alternator right. ? So just waiting to find out and go from there.
Ride with the angels surrounding you!
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
don't let them tell you that the timing belts are hitting the alternator. the toming belts are in front of the motorand the alternator is near the back of the motor so there is no way that the two part interfear with each other

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Something sounds fishy, the timing belts and the alternator are not together, as in driven by a serpentine belt. There are brushes that wear out and diodes that take it upon themselves to stop working.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I remember correctly-so frustrated I might have said it wrong-he said that they might not have set the timing belts correctly so it could make the alternator not charge??? I don't know, that's why I have my forum family to steer me the right way. Trike Lady after we hear what the shop says we are going to talk to Brian. He said if he can he will fix what they find to save us money, he can get the parts. So still waiting, probably won't hear anything til next week sometime.
Many thanks as always for being here to help!
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
if the belts were set incorrect you would have drivability problems not a charging problem. as long as the engine will rev up the alternator should charge if its good

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's why I come here to my family for help. Do ya'll know what it should cost to replace the alternator. The guy had said maybe the brushes were bad but Dan thinks that since it is probably the original alternator wouldn't it be better to just put a new one on it? If you have an idea of the price then we can compare it to what they tell us. Dan was able to get the trike started after he put the charger on the battery for a bit. We trailered it up to the shop and it started when we got it off the trailer. I know when all things are fixed in the end we will be happy, just frustrated right now and worried about what could be next.
Ride with the angels surrounding you!
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I will add another couple questions if I could. When we first start it up it puts out a little smoke but then quits. They told us at the shop that was natural. It also has a noise in the back that Dan thought was kinda like slack in the u-joint on the left hand side but they told him that was a common noise because of putting the trike kit on. We realize it is not a new one, but since we got taken by the place we bought it from we are really leary about things. I hope yall don't get tired of answering my questions.
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
do check the u-joint, from what i hear it is the same u-joint that was on the bike when it was a two wheeler. my buddy robert just replaced his before his trip up north. condensation in the pipes ( one pipe or both pipes ) can cause smoke on startup as well as a little oil getting pas the rings and that is normal. not sure what a new alternator will coost but when i change mine i'm getting the high output alternator from wingstuff

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Normally, what goes bad in an alternator are the brushes. They aren't too expensive and are fairly easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Anglemammaw,

You mentioned "our friend" and that he/she could get an alternator for your 1500. Can your friend help with the shop itself, including to determine if they are a good, honest shop? Two things that really get into your pocket are bad knowledge (poor diagnoses of problems) and bad ethics (as in you look like a walking credit card!:eek:) We don't want to see you get ripped off.

Hmmm.... a call to that shop by Trike Lady, introduced as a friend of an existing customer of theirs, and to the head of the service dept. might kill two birds with one stone. They'll know that you have knowledgeable help so if there are any shenanigans going on they'll knock it off, and they may just discover the best technician they could ever hire! Works for everybody!

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
If it's the original alternator, then if it's in the budget I'd opt for a new Compufire rather than just servicing the old one. Everything else mentioned is spot on.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
If it's the original alternator, then if it's in the budget I'd opt for a new Compufire rather than just servicing the old one. Everything else mentioned is spot on.
+1 on this Pat, if you "have" to replace the alternator go with a "high output" version or a Compufire. I don't know a lot about Cycle Center but several of the Chapter M group use them but others do not.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts