Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard that a 1999 GM Saturn alternator will take the place of the Compu-Fire alternator for a whole lot less. The only thing is changing over the pulley gear.

This would go on a 1500se, 96.

The number of that alternator maybe a SC-1??

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I've installed several Compufires over the years and they are a tight fix, so unless the Saturn is the same unit and the bolt patterns are exact you might be wasting your money.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron. I'm not sure if it would work that is why I am putting it out to the group. I heard this from someone and wanted to make sure before I bought one. Those Compu-fires are exspensive.

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
how would you mount the saturn alternator to the wing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure. I thought if it was a match the wiring would be somewhat the same.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
the saturn alternator would have to mount the same as the wing alternator, isn't the saturn alt belt driven

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, but from what I heard you remove the pulley and replace it with the one from the stock unit you remove from the wing.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I think the Saturn alt. is used for the 1200 poor boy conversion. There is no way it would work on a 1500, unless you replace the front half of the Saturn alt. with the one from the wing. You need the sealing surface and the mount to be exact.

(Uh oh, post #900.)

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
How much are they asking for the Saturn unit ??. It would have to be a lot cheaper to risk getting the impeller off the stock unit off then mounting it to be the correct depth. I'm betting it's at least a couple hundred bucks or more. I think I'd bite the bullet and go with the compufire, then at least if something isn't right you can go to them. I doubt the Saturn dealer will warranty it once to tried putting it in a wing. Just my thoughts.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Saturn definitely won't warranty it! They're out of business! :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your help. I guess I will break down and spend the money on the comu-fire.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Charlie: You might want to consider replacing the rubber dampeners that the impeller fits into.
A tip for getting them to stay in place while you are working the alternator into place is to put a little dab of grease on the back of each one to hold them in place. And clear the area of women and small children, you might be turning the air a little blue working it into place, Just follow the instructions and it can be done.
Ron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
L.O.L. Didn't know it was going to be that tight.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
There are a couple of tubes tucked into the right side in the corner next to the frame be sure to push them into the corner as far as possible. The position of the lower bolt hole is important when fitting the Alternator into the cavity, follow the the instruction for that and you should be fine, Clear the area of women and children out just in case.
You might want to hook the main lead up to the back terminal, just do a couple of turns on the nut so it won't fall off. My hands just won't fit in there to put the cable on once the alternator is in place.
Best of luck.
Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts