Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of changing out my old alternator with a new high output model. I thought this would be a simple plug and play installation, and getting new alternator mounted (with new rubber pads) was a simple operation. The issue is the single wire that came with a 2prong lead. My old wire does not have a connection that can be accessed without taking off the cowling beneath the top shelter. I disconnected this wire from the back of old alt. in order to remove it from the bike and need to know if I can just splice in the new wire, or do I need to remove the panels covering up the original connection. (The lead on my new alternator is only about 12"long)

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
The green wire that came from the OEM unit was cut and the new one spliced in.
There is also a service manual for the unit at this website, http://www.scribd.com/doc/23641349/Service-Manual-Delco-Remy-CS-130
While it has nothing to do with the install, it does have information about the unit.
An interesting article on the Compufire install http://www.horseapple.com/compufire-rev.HTM

Excerpt from article:The Compufire 90 amp alternator is an adaptation of a late-model automobile alternator. The original manufacturer has created a new end frame and drive coupling to meet Compufire's specifications, and the entire product is very robust and professional looking. Although the plug on the back of the alternator doesn't match the bike's original, a pigtail is provided with the correct plugs for both the alternator and the original field wire plug. This pigtail actually makes installation easier than it would otherwise be due to the extra length of wire provided. Installation instructions are complete and fairly straightforward, though I found it necessary to remove the left passenger footrest and its chromed plastic shroud in addition to the two recommended left side covers. I also found it helpful to release the clamp holding the thick black wire to the frame. This provided the slack needed to easily attach the wire to the output stud on the new alternator.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Nicely done trike lady!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts