Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 1500 still has the oem alternator and it's working fine however, I'm wanting to purchase a new one for a spare for when the oem fails. What do you recommend for a replacement, I definitely would like a bigger output but I want it to last a long time as well.
Thank you
Donnie

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is it such a sure thing that it will fail that you need to purchase a spare ahead of time? Asking seriously.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it such a sure thing that it will fail that you need to purchase a spare ahead of time? Asking seriously.
I really dont know that much about them just thought it would be a good idea to have a spare in hand, thus way if or when it quits I won't be down for a few days. In June this year I'm doing around a 2k mile trip, so I thought I'd like to have a spare just in case.

·
Super Moderator
28,549 Posts
Donnie, as long as you are not over taxing the alternator with electrical accessories they do fine. That is not to say they don't fail, and when they do on the road you can be in for a few days until a shop gets one. Been there, done that.

Having much experience with alternators (a whole different story, and one that I am not allowed to forget), they will take up some room to carry as a spare but it can be done. Been there, done that..too.

Anyway this is the one I bought when moving to a high output. Many many years ago on my previous 1500 I purchased a Compufire & it's battery but that is a costly venture. The Lactrical alternator works great, and there is no need to match a special battery, and it provides all the power we need for accessories including heated gear.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I've upgraded a number of 1500's alternators for friends, I upgraded to the Lactrical 95 amp alternator and haven't had any issues with them. The issue with the GL1500 OEM alternator is they are only 30 amp and it doesn't take many add-ons to reach the limit to its capacity.

Reactions: Donniebnd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Donnie, as long as you are not over taxing the alternator with electrical accessories they do fine. That is not to say they don't fail, and when they do on the road you can be in for a few days until a shop gets one. Been there, done that.

Having much experience with alternators (a whole different story, and one that I am not allowed to forget), they will take up some room to carry as a spare but it can be done. Been there, done that..too.

Anyway this is the one I bought when moving to a high output. Many many years ago on my previous 1500 I purchased a Compufire & it's battery but that is a costly venture. The Lactrical alternator works great, and there is no need to match a special battery, and it provides all the power we need for accessories including heated gear.

I doubt I ever use its peak, just 2 pair of led driving lights then replaced all the reflectors with lights and thats about all ill do. Just thought that it might be best to put a higher output alt on. As.for.cost I don't mind it as long as its worth the cost.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
Nope, we won't let you forget! ;)

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really dont know that much about them just thought it would be a good idea to have a spare in hand, thus way if or when it quits I won't be down for a few days. In June this year I'm doing around a 2k mile trip, so I thought I'd like to have a spare just in case.
I’ve had three GL1500 Goldwings, putting close to 300k on the last two, (on my third one now.) Anytime after 150k or so alternator failure seems to be eminent. What I found was that they are a “Nippon-Denso” (now “Denso”) part and can be readily found at most automotive parts stores. Be aware that the front half of the OEM housing and shaft drive gear component will have to be changed and installed onto the new “Denso” alternator but this is not a complex task.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve had three GL1500 Goldwings, putting close to 300k on the last two, (on my third one now.) Anytime after 150k or so alternator failure seems to be eminent. What I found was that they are a “Nippon-Denso” (now “Denso”) part and can be readily found at most automotive parts stores. Be aware that the front half of the OEM housing and shaft drive gear component will have to be changed and installed onto the new “Denso” alternator but this is not a complex task.
Good to hear, then I possibly have 100k left to go as mine only has 54k current.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 99 1500 still has the oem alternator and it's working fine however, I'm wanting to purchase a new one for a spare for when the oem fails. What do you recommend for a replacement, I definitely would like a bigger output but I want it to last a long time as well.
Thank you
Donnie
I have had these on both my 99's for years and never a problem, and YES, when it was brand I went through 2 alternators within the first 6 months..https://www.amazon.com/Amperage-Alternator-1990-2000-31100-MT2-005-31100-MT2-015/dp/B00OI0RL00/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=honda+goldwing+GL1500+90+amp+alternator&qid=1614211595&sr=8-3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts