Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a 93 Aspencade. He recently replaced the brushes, rear bearing and regulator in his stock alternator which wasn't charging. Everything went together smoothly. Once reinstalled, the alternator heats up so hot you can't touch the unit while the bike is running. We tried several different scenarios to eliminate possible causes, (battery, connections, etc). This is what we know; the unit doesn't heat up while running w/o the main wire being connected. It only heats up when conneceted. Even taking all the fuses out not essential to start the bike, the unit still heats up. It puts out 11.5 to 12 volts at idle and at 2000-2500 rpm it shows 13.5, so it's charging fine. Battery is a fairly new Diehard. This bike has been his pride and joy. He's in his 70's and is a great mechanic but doesn't have the resources to relace this unit. Personally, I not so sure replacing the unit will fix his original problem. But if any of you can offer any direction, I would greatly appreciated it.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I check mine later today. But it seems to me that the Alternator case is going to get hot when the bike is running. It is a metal to metal contact where it bolts to the engine ( heat transfer), running is a confined space ( heat transfer).
Did he ever check it before doing rebuild on the Alternator ?
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ron, thanks for the suggestion. Motor heat may attribute to some this, but remember the alternator doesn't heat up when disconnected. I personally felt this process, and you can feel the thing warm up to the extent (in 2-3 minutes) you have to pull your hand away it's so hot!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Ok : I just got back from a one hour ride. What I found is; when I touch the back end of the Alternator it is very warm but still touchable, however when I touch the front half it is very hot, I would say not touchable it could cause a blister if you touched it for a couple of seconds. Are you sure you are touching the same place each time.
I can't comment on the Disconnected part. The compufire connects on the back end, not a fun wire to connect and disconnect.
My ride is a 93 Aspencade, with a Compufire Alternator and 173,000 miles.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on this one, but being without my service manuals has been very painful, especially when I have no electrical schematics and want to give the right answer.
Having checked the schematic there is a field coil within the alternator and there is a good possibility it may not be shutting off when necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Today we installed a new Honda alternator, started the bike and the thing was so hot in 2 minutes you could fry bacon on it. Then we started checking circuits. Question: to everyone, so hey YOU, listen up! Can a faulty ignition switch cause the alternator to heat up? The ignition plugs into the starter solenoid and with the key in the off position the red wire that leaves the plug and goes directly to the key tests out to have a short. Is this normal? Maybe this is how the motor shuts off by grounding out in the off position. Not sure on any of this, but would welcome any thoughts!

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Two items to check here. Relay #8 and yes ignition switches do go bad.
I'm grasping for a straw with this one, was the BAS ever replaced under the recall?

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
There are two Capacitor attached to the stock alternator. Check them for shorts. I can see if one of them was shorted there would be massive current draw that could cause over heating very quickly.
Meter negative lead to the ground side of capacitor. Positive to the Cable side of the cap.
Might see a meter movement as the Cap takes on a charge from the meter that you should read infinite resistances/open across the capacitor.
Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts