Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1984 Goldwing Aspencade last May.It ran very well until the end of August.When I bought it the bike it had 24,500 miles on it.I put 10,000 miles on it during the summer.Atter putting 10,000 miles on it ;the bike started having charging problems and is not charging at all now.I undestand the stator is a problem on this year and a few other years for the Golwing.
I am thinking about going with a conversion kit from a company out
MO. that would convert it to a outside alternator with some assembly work.
I heard that replacing the stator and regulator is not ony very exspensive mainly due to the labor involved but usally they don;t last as long or any longer than the original stator.
That is why I looked for a better answer.Does anyone have feedback on the conversion kit and is what I have heard about the stators pretty much true.
Thank you in advance for any feed back!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Don, there are a couple conversions out there: Poorboy & Compufire to name a couple. Not sure about the install prcedures, but lots of guys swear it's the way to go. Went through three of the stators on my '84, but it took me 167,000 mi to do it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
While I'm very new at this and have no personal experience, I'll try and give you some info from what I've read.

Yes, the stator on the 1200 Gold Wings was problematic. I believe the high cost of replacement is because the motor has to be removed to replace it. While the initial cost of replacing the stator or converting to an external alternator may be close to the same, the advantage of the external is that any future problems will be much less costly to repair.

Since you mention a company in Missouri, I'm guessing that you are referring to Dupli-Tech's kit. While I have found no mentions of actual problems with the kit and most of the people who have installed them seem to be happy with them, several owners don't seem to care for the fact that the alternator is hanging out in the open. Their seems to be some concern about water and others just don't like the looks. The water may be a valid concern, but I have not found any actual report of one failing because of water infiltration.

Another kit you may want to look at, if you haven't already, is the Donald (Poorboy) Pigott kit. I've read of several doing this conversion and it seems to have a very high reputation. While there appears to be a little more fabricating necessary with this kit, it has the advantage that once installed, the alternator is behind the lower fairing, hidden from view and protected from the elements. There is a ton of information about this kit on the GL1200 board. Here's a link to their Charging System and Conversion Alternators forum.

While you may definitely have stator problems, take a look at this article concerning the connecting plug next to the battery. As I understand it, a lot of problems start there. You may get lucky and find that by cutting out the plug and direct wiring you solve your current problem.

Hope that gives you a little info until others will the actual knowledge to help come along.

Hoss

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the poorboy kit goes behind the left side of the fairing, behind the shark grill. it's hardly noticable. go over to gl1200goldwings.com. you can find poorboy there and see how others have don the conversion. dan over at www.classicgoldwing has some too

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goldwing conversion Kit.

Hi Hoss,
Thank you so much for all the great information and web links!You are such a freind and that I have never met.What a bank of information you have.
Thanks,
Donald Lang

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Goldwing conversion Kit.

Hi buduka,
Your experience says it all.Thanks for the feed back.
Thanks,
Donald Lang

1 - 7 of 7 Posts