Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 GL1500 is not charging. I have taken the alternator off and it checks good at a repair shop. The battery has also been checked and it checks good also. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Did the shop do a load test on the battery or just voltage? Oh and by the way, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the shop do a load test on the battery or just voltage? Oh and by the way, welcome to the site.
Wal-Mart checked the battery and said it was good (bought March 2010) I hooked another battery up to make sure and got the same reading.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pa. Do you have any aftermarket accessories on your Wing that could be causing a problem? Have you checked the wiring and grounds?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, welcome to the forum from Pa. Do you have any aftermarket accessories on your Wing that could be causing a problem? Have you checked the wiring and grounds?
Thanks to both who have welcomed me. My Dad bought the bike new, when he passed in 03 I sold mine and kept his. It has always been garage kept except when on a few trips and has 36K miles. Air horns are the only aftermarket produsts and they are temporilary disconnected. I cannot find corrosion anywhere. Except for a little dust under the side covers it looks new. Just did a ground check with meter and it is good.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Because the grounds look good with the meter doesn't mean the grounds are good. Check your grounds from the battery to the engine and frame and clean them.

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
You may have a bad diode in the regulator or rectifier (their diodes fail), when it gets hot it begins to fail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel certain the connections are all good but will go over them. The alternator charges on the test stand but won't on the bike. In both cases the alternator is not hot so I don't think it is diode failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that may be my problem. I have voltage to alternator, it then is supposed to go thru the condenser. I am going to bypass and see if it will charge.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Basics! Place a volt meter across the battery after giving it a good charge. Should read about 12 volts. Then ccrank the bike and the meter should not fall below 9 or 10 volts. (Battey bad if it falls below that) With bike running you should get about 13.5 to 14 volts. (If not look at the charging system. First off check all wires and cables to make sure they are clean and tight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the alternator and all is well. I was told the old alternator was good, but it wasn't. Thanks to all who posted a reply.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
I replaced the alternator and all is well. I was told the old alternator was good, but it wasn't. Thanks to all who posted a reply.
who checked the alternator for you

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Glad you found your problem. Now you can get back to riding. Ride safe..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts