Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions on replacement tires for my old 81 wing. I've had it with Dunlop I just don't get any mileage out of them. They are fine for weekend warriors but I'm sick of buying new tires multiple times a year. Problem I have is getting the right size 100X90X19 on the front and 130X90X17 Rear. Most of the manufacturers don't seem to be producing a high mileage touring tire to fit my near antique. My local shop advised me Michelin does a 140 for the rear but that means I will probably have to ding the Shaft Housing to get it to clear. They agreed for my mileage the Dunlop 404f is an inadequate tire. I bought my ol" bird 6 years ago and average 25k miles a year solo hauling basic camping gear aprox. 75 to 100lbs and my 250lbs. The bike has a full Vetter kit on it. If I behave myself (which is seldom) I might get 4-5k out of the back and 9-10k out of the front. I don't know anyone who is still actively touring anything this old so any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Jim we have several guys here that run 1100's I'm sure they will chime in with their tire choices. The 1500/1800 guys who bemoan tire wear go the Car Tire route but if I'm not mistaken not an option for you.

Anyway Welcome to the GWOF from PA.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
hello jim, welcome o GWOF. see if you can find dunlop e3's in your tire sizes, a much better tire all around.... jmho

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've been running Avon Venoms on my 1500 and like them so far. I got about 15k on them and still have 3-5K worth of tread left. Did a search at one place but thet only show the AM26 model for both the front and the rear. I'd have to search further spec's to find if the load rating is ok for a Goldwing. Or you can go with the 'stones, though I didn't care for them on my old 78 GS550.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
are you sure your rear tire is a 17?
i see 16 which would be dunlop e3 mu 90b-16
or did someone put '83 wheels on your wing

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I'm running a E3 on the rear and a Dunlop 404 on the front of my 87' mistake! I will never run another 404 ever it makes my bike want to ride bad and handle bad. Anyone else have this problem out of mismatching tires?

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Yes Doc, the '81 did come with a 17" rear. I found a sport tour from Bridgestone that matches blair's size, but no load rating that I could find. Same with Continental, they make a tire for adventure bikes in that configuration, which would likely be ok. Since Blair already got a Shinko, it will be interesting to see how he makes out on his trip. Post your results Blair please.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.