Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only problem with the tilt is there is no advantages. it's just a standard motorcycle with a 3rd wheel. No stability gain no increase in front end traction very little brake gain. it's at best a novelty item for 12K and you get to buy 3 hard mc tires now.

A non-leaning trike will always be better and that's why no major company will or ever has build a leaner while they all have patents on the concept only for protection sake. HD and BRP for example have patents on leaners but will never build one as in time people will discover the advantage is zero.

Using the standard hand lever brake master does work well but some special other equipment is also required to make it work 100% a better option is to change out the standard 14mm master for a 17mm aftermarket which work exceedingly well
Yeah we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. The fact that Tilting motor works concept has independent suspension on the front two wheels makes it far better than a novelty item. So your stability gain point is a non sequitur. The builder even states that if you lose traction with one of the front wheels you maintain traction with the other one so your still back to at least TWO wheels on the ground with traction. If you lose traction in both front wheels then you've put yourself in a no-win situation which would not be helped by a 1 front 2 back configuration. A non-leaning trike scrubs the wheels when going thru ANY turn. Why would you want to lose traction like that? Even an independent suspended trike with the two wheels in back will STILL scrub a wheel when turning. My only concern with the Tilting motor works suspension was whether or not they upgraded the braking for the front.

Since I have some trouble keeping a 900 lb motorcycle upright at slow speeds (1-2 mph) I'm considering the conversion. So for me it works just fine. For you...not so much.

·
Banned
4 Posts

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Yeah we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. The fact that Tilting motor works concept has independent suspension on the front two wheels makes it far better than a novelty item. So your stability gain point is a non sequitur. The builder even states that if you lose traction with one of the front wheels you maintain traction with the other one so your still back to at least TWO wheels on the ground with traction. If you lose traction in both front wheels then you've put yourself in a no-win situation which would not be helped by a 1 front 2 back configuration. A non-leaning trike scrubs the wheels when going thru ANY turn. Why would you want to lose traction like that? Even an independent suspended trike with the two wheels in back will STILL scrub a wheel when turning. My only concern with the Tilting motor works suspension was whether or not they upgraded the braking for the front.

Since I have some trouble keeping a 900 lb motorcycle upright at slow speeds (1-2 mph) I'm considering the conversion. So for me it works just fine. For you...not so much.
Well actually from an engineering perspective two tilting wheels will have the same traction as a single. Each wheel will have 1/2 the weight carry so on each wheel the traction or grip is 1/2. So no gain in grip and all conversion are independant front suspension just like automobiles so yes the tmw is just a novelty item. Scrub can be scrub radius either positive or negative and this is a mandatory configuration in all front steer vehicles. It is a combination of KPA and spindle offset. Cornering scrub is determined by the ackerman steering configuration and no it does not adversely affect cornering grip if done correctly. Any vehicle (basically motorcycles) that leans will have diminishing traction in all cornering situations. Greater the lean and higher the speed the lower the adhesion characteristics. A non-leaning vehicle ( 99.9% of all vehicles on the planet) will maintain a much higher adhesion curve and therefore outperform all leaning vehicles. No even if the tilting conversion locks in place at low speed the benefit is still modest as you are still dealing with low speed changeover and the obvious other downsides as mentioned. On top of all the the new "SportTrike" front conversion will handle gravel, wear coat and any other unpaved road as well as an SUV where the leaner will not show any improvements over a standard 2 wheel. What do you suppose happens when a leaning trike high sides? On a standard non-leaning trike under and oversteer is configurable and high side even low side is eliminated. Worst case a slight front drift will warn of reaching the limit. A non leaning RT will slightly understeer which is the perfect and safest configuration.

Ever wonder why no company has ever built a leaning car? Well same reason no major company has ever built a leaning trike. I just isn't a practical solution from an engineering perspective.
It kind of reminds me a spinal tap where the volume controls on an amp are identical but one goes to 10 and the other 11 so we must buy the one that goes to 11 even though there is no actual power gain.

BRP has had the right idea all along and the majority of conversion manufactures are starting to pickup on the aspect of true "SportTrikes" and the options to ride a sporty three wheeler that can truly go anywhere over any road surface and do it safely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Again we will have to agree to disagree. You gave a wonderful explanation of all the engineering science that explains why a TMW is no good. However it has been my experience after a lifetime of working with electrical engineers that sometimes you just have to NOT follow the crowd. My whole purpose for converting to a TMW is because of the stability at extremely low speed. I have zero concern about the cornering ability of either version of the trike system. Thank you for the explanation but I'm sorry you haven't put me off my reasons for wanting one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I like the TMW concept and look forward to test riding one in the future... The only issue I have with them (and many other trike conversions) is that they DO NOT retain the ABS function of bikes so equipped... I think ABS is very important on any MC and as such mine is equipped that way... Other than that, the TMW conversion looks very interesting... Very interesting comments on leaning by ETC and I'm sure there is validity to them, but if I could get a trike or reverse trike that retains ABS and leans, I would buy it in a heartbeat when I am ready to do so...

Les

21 - 26 of 26 Posts