Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: just took possesion of a 1977 new to me goldwing, took it for a short shakedown ride and everything was going great until i got home. the temp gauge was showing to the far far right of cool and almost got to the red. i shut it down in a hurry.. i added coolant to the resevoir but when i started it back up it headed back up..any obvious things i can check. this is my first post so hi from central virginia.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i guess i should have read the previouse post saw one that sounded like my problem but and suggestions would be appreciated
thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
If you were that low on coolant even though you added some to the resevoir you may have air in the system. When the bike is cool, try to loosen the cap to see if that eases the problem..

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum from Pa. Where is home for you. Ride safe and enjoy the site. Nice folks on here trying to help each other.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you Pa you were correct. added coolant to the radiator she is running perfect,,,,bye the way i was born and raised in Richmond Virginia
thanks again

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You can only use silicate free coolant or you will destroy your water pump. Use a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water, you can get the pre mixed stuff at the Honda dealer about $4.00 a quart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you joe, i topped it off with water but i will remember your advise on the coolant
thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took it for a 162 mile ride today not a single problem, it ran pretty good for a 33 year old bike.
thanks bigworm

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Good stuff bigworm, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A 162 mile run is just what the old bird needed. I hope that both of you have enjoyed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts