Honda Goldwing Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
That's the thing, we all think retirement is one long vacation but after a month or so I think I'd get bored too. I gotta have a reason to get out of bed and be productive.
When I retired, I found myself almost as busy as when I was working. In fact, I wonder how I even had time to work when I was working! I have kept myself busy for almost 4 years now in retirement by working on projects around the house, helping my kids out with their homes and our grandchildren, vacationing, motorcycle riding and trips, visiting with friends and relatives, etc. I am very rarely bored and looking for something to do!

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour DCT
3 Posts
By bikes are my only form of personal transportation, so I ride year round in any kind of weather. In Atlanta, that can be 15 to 100 degrees and lots of rain. I'm ATGATT. Gear is an investment and some of mine is several years old. I dress for the weather and comfort. This means FF helmet, jacket (I have 3 based on temps), Klim Airbag vest, Aerostich pants or armored motorcycle jeans, gloves (multiple pairs based on temp need), motorcycle boots (leather or vented). I also have an Aerostich R1 for commuting.

Also, when my wife rides with me, she is dressed in a similar fashion.

Gear is a personal choice but I do take issue with those that look for sympathy for their injuries from lack of gear. I also prefer to ride with like dressed riders. Have spent a couple of afternoons on a group ride waiting for an ambulance for a rider that went down without gear.

My 2 cents!

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the exception of commuting to work, when it's jeans, I'm a full armored riding suit, boots with kevlar, gloves and full face helmet. Back in my HD days, I often wore the HD uniform of jeans and tank top. 8 years of driving a truck over the road and looking down into cars gave me a new outlook. The amount of things I observed people doing that was not driving convinced me to change my thinking. Now I physically can not even fathom getting on the bike without gear, all the gear. I also found I can ride longer, and farther without fatigue wearing my gear. Even in hot weather.

·
Registered
1989 GL1500
5 Posts
I'm in the middle also. Always a helmet (modular, often open), long pants, jacket depending on weather (it's hot here in So. AZ), boots, gloves. Only exception is very short test rides on my rural street. Rain gear when it's coming down. Only been down a couple of times at low speeds in gravel. Only once rather hard, but was able to make it home anyway.
Everyone has to decide their risk comfort level.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Living in Houston's hot and extremely humid climate, a short jaunt around in the suburbs just doesn't warrant ATGATT, although weather SHOULDN'T be that big an influence. Half helmet, boots and gloves is typical. Once the temps drop below 80°, I add one of my jackets. One is vented leather with perforated sleeves, the other is heavy denim, zipper vents with crash pads in several places.

I would LOVE to buy the Alpinestars Tech 5 jacket but ~$500 used or ~$700+ new is a lot to justify for the 3500 miles/yr I ride (unless a trip is added).

41 - 48 of 48 Posts