Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
A few years ago a semi tractor (no trailer) pulled out right in front of me. I tried to brake hard and maneuver a little at the same time. I went down at about 35mph. Fortunately I was wearing textile gear and cowboy boots. The gear was destroyed as were my boots. My only injury was a bruised ankle which did the slide while stuck under my bike. As a result, I am sold on ATGATT when I pull out on the roadway. I have had an airbag vest on my Christmas list for a few years but Santa thinks that a heavy red coat is sufficient.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great story, good to hear you escaped anything serious. The Klim airbag vest is $399 which is a lot cheaper than other brands. Might be worth checking out.
The problem with all airbag vests is they don't allow for good ventilation but to counter this some riders just wear the vest over a T-shirt in hot weather.

·
Super Moderator
13,328 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cloud Sky Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
This is me on the Beartooth Pass Summit last year. Daytona Boots, Hood armored jeans, leather jacket from the 1980's (no armor) 3/4 helmet (with my modular helmet in the trunk) always, always, always, always wear M/C gloves (which are on the saddle) and always wear eyewear unless I'm using the modular.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wear a modular helmet, mesh jacket, rain and or thermal liners when necessary, gloves, blue jeans and leather boots are the norm for me. On occasion I may make a quick trip downtown to the hardware store without helmet, gloves, and jacket, but usually I will dress fully as I will use the necessity to go somewhere as an excuse to go for a ride anyway.

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Super Moderator
13,328 Posts
This is me on the Beartooth Pass Summit last year. Daytona Boots, Hood armored jeans, leather jacket from the 1980's (no armor) 3/4 helmet (with my modular helmet in the trunk) always, always, always, always wear M/C gloves (which are on the saddle) and always wear eyewear unless I'm using the modular.
My picture was taken on the Beartooth!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I wear a modular helmet, mesh jacket, rain and or thermal liners when necessary, gloves, blue jeans and leather boots are the norm for me. On occasion I may make a quick trip downtown to the hardware store without helmet, gloves, and jacket, but usually I will dress fully as I will use the necessity to go somewhere as an excuse to go for a ride anyway.
Out here in CA wearing a moto helmet is the law so no quick runs anywhere unless you want a hefty ticket.
Also, kids under 18 are required to wear a bicycle helmet if they are riding a scooter, bicycle or skateboard. $25 fine to the parents if caught without one.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I always wear boots and long pants (jeans). If the weather permits I usually have a long sleeve shirt. I will wear a leather jacket in cooler weather and my chaps also. I always wear my modular helmet and gloves. After typing this I see I dress about 30% for safety and 70% based upon the temperature.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
ATGATT. Can't square the cost of the air bag vest but I did upgrade all my armor to D30 and CE2 Bohn Armored tights that I wear under moto pants.
Those vests are expensive. I’m working full time and I’m on SSI which I treat as “mad” money so I bought an Alpinestars Tech 5 and now I don’t go anywhere without it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well guys,
I've been riding over 50 years, passed a million miles (I don't drive unless I have to) years ago.
I've been down only 3 times. Once run off the road by a cager, once I hit a pothole, and last but certainly not least on 9/26/22 @ 0715 while driving to work on my Honda PC800, a deer jumped out of the brush that came up to the edge of the road where we collided. I'd seen deer🦌 in the surrounding fields so wasn't even in high gear putting along at 30+/- MPH.
I had on jacket, gloves, heavy riding pants, strong shoes, and helmet.
The result:
1. All left ribs posterior and anterior fractured.
2. Fractured sternum (breastbone)
3. Fractured left clavicle (collar bone with possible surgery to come in Jan.)
4. Fractured left scapula (shoulder blade)
5. Dislocated left shoulder and right thumb
(I reduced the shoulder when I rolled off the road and surgery fixed the torn tendons in left thumb)
6. Collapsed BOTH lungs🫁 (I reinflated by force of will)
7. Plural affusion in left lung (air in chest cavity)

As bad as this was, and it ain't good, the EMS, police and physicians all said I probably would have died without the riding gear. Especially the helmet that was throughly trashed 🗑.

All this at +/- 30 mph, with an experienced rider on high alert, and properly clothed.

I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.

Waiting to ride my 2008 Gl1800
again in North Florida,
Chaplain Bob DeSantis

·
Registered
06 GL1800, 97 BMW R1100GS, 74 BMW R60/6, 73 BMW R75/5
8 Posts
I know riding jackets in the summer, especially in a bike that has effective wind blocking, such as the Goldwing, can be a little uncomfortable but statistics show that if we ride long enough we WILL have an accident traveling (however minor or major it may be) and armored protection IMO is a must.

I generally only wear an armored jacket in hot weather (along with my ever-present helmet) to protect me, even though I should wear armored pants also in hot weather. I feel that a riding jacket is a minimum requirement and I also know that the fairing on a Goldwing can give me a false sense of protection from harm on the highway.

I am a member of CMA and I have served as road captain and even though those of us that wear armor are in the minority, I have noticed that even more HD riders are beginning to see the light.

Only twice in 50+ years of riding have I had an accident where I was sent spinning down the road...both times I was wearing armor and at least one of those two times the armor kept me from breaking my elbow when it rammed into the tarmac from my fall, as well as receiving no roads rash from the armored pants and riding gloves.

If wearing armor for decades meant it only protected me from potentially major injury only once in my life, then wearing it has been well worth it. I put out a kitchen fire with a $10 extinguisher, thus saving my house from receiving major damage as a result of fire.

If I only have to use a fire extinguisher only once in my life then keeping it around for decades makes it worth it. Wearing armor is body insurance.

BTW...never, ever, ever shorts or sandals

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the middle on this one. I've always said that, if I was in an accident, I'd want to be wearing everything I could, re: safety. I'm an open road rider. I don't enjoy heavy traffic and the perils that come with/from "the other guy". That said, if it's cooler, if there's a chance of rain, where I'm riding (the sagebrush open roads of Wyoming vs. the hilly backroads of Wisconsin), who's on board with me (if anyone), will I be out after dark, am I riding with a group or not, etc. all are factors I consider. Some days I wear a full-face helmet, nylon (padded) reflective riding coat, gloves and leather chaps. Deer are a major factor I consider when planning my gear and my route. I'm sure that one of the best ways to increase your odds in a wreck might be to be fully "armored". Then again, I feel like I can see and hear everything much better when I'm wearing just my leather MC coat and my NRA cap. Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't. :) Like you said, don't be judgmental of me or others. Enjoy the ride the best way you know how! :) :) Life's an adventure!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have to agree to a middle ground. Helmet, jacket ( leather or other protective material ), gloves, boots, long sleeve shirt. And defensive awareness. Not too worried about laying it down, however have seen too many road rash results to ever want to ignore the possibility.

·
Registered
2007 gl1800 dark metalic orange
86 Posts
I'm one of those depends on the conditions person. Now, do I run up to the local grocery store in shorts, etc.? No, if I'm going to get on the bike and ride anywhere, I will at least have jeans, T-shirt and boots. I may not put on my dew rag/hair keeper and gloves, just to go a couple of blocks, but, despite the fact that my sidecar almost prevents me from going down, I do wear minimal protective wear. I always wear boots. I don't understand how people can ride in flip flops, upshifting would be painful to me. When it's hot, I actually wear bib overalls. I will put a cold or (even better) frozen water bottle in between me and the bib, to help me keep cool. Helmets, mostly in inclement weather, or if the state requires it. I have a helmet I like, but don't like wearing them all the time. I witnessed a girl flying across the intersection after a cager did a left turn in front of her. I will never forget how she looked like a rag doll that had been tossed in the air. She survived, from what I heard. We just happened to be at the intersection in our car, when it happened, so didn't know her. That doesn't prevent me from dressing the way I'm most comfortable. I think that wearing what's comfortable to the rider is part of how they feel(?) when riding. If you're uncomfortable, you're going to be distracted, and may end up getting hurt. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Goldwing Trike
11 Posts
I am not worried in the least about having a wreck on the bike that I will be an ATGATT rider. I ride for enjoyment and comfort, as the weather permits. T-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes in the summer. Whenever possible, no helmet. If it ever comes a time that I am that worried about going down on the bike, I’ll quit riding. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. (Dennis Miller)
I agree with your dress as well. We live in lake havasu city arizona and even the winter daytime temperatures are in the high 50’s. Summer in the triple digits….no helmet but once below 80 I wear a helmet.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts