Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much gear do you wear when you ride? From my sport bike days I'm in the habit of wearing a full face helmet, gloves, moto jacket, moto pants, moto boots and an airbag vest.
I ask myself "if I hit the pavement at 60 MPH what do I want to be wearing?"

Other riders are more comfortable wearing less, especially in warmer weather. Too each his/her own, it's your choice, no judgments here.

Just wondering how other "Goldwingers" suit up when they go out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same as you with the exception of Moto Pants and Airbag vest. Been looking into pants, just haven't pulled the trigger.
I wear mesh ADV pants that have C2 padding in the hips and knees. Very abrasion resistant material and they are breathable. If I get off the bike to walk around they look a little funny so that's the problem. I think if I was going on a hike or walk around town I'd probably want to bring some shorts/jeans to change in to. That becomes a hassle but I'd rather have the protection.
Road rash is no joke.
Airbag jeans are coming with Helite technology so that might solve the appearance problems of current moto pants

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm an ATTGATT rider - same as OP (full face helmet, gloves, moto jacket, moto pants, moto boots) but without an airbag vest (I'll get one eventually, but so far have balked at the cost).
I have an Alpinestars Tech 5 vest and like it, there are other brands out there as we all know. A jacket protects against abrasion but does nothing to lessen impact injuries. If I have a "get off" I like knowing I have an airbag between me and the object I'm about to hit that protects my spine, ribs and hips, and stabilizes my neck.
You're right, they aren't cheap but I don't want to be laying in the emergency room wishing I hadn't cheaped out on my safety.

Again, that's just me. Everyone's personal safety is their own business of course.

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour Metallic Black
4,366 Posts
I am not worried in the least about having a wreck on the bike that I will be an ATGATT rider. I ride for enjoyment and comfort, as the weather permits. T-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes in the summer. Whenever possible, no helmet. If it ever comes a time that I am that worried about going down on the bike, I’ll quit riding. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. (Dennis Miller)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
For me, it all depends, and know I don't wear them, depends that is

if it is just an errand in town and will never break 40 I will go in shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes, but always my full face helmet and gloves

if I am going to hit highway speeds, then it is long pants and a riding jacket, when it gets cold then I add my chaps

if I am riding with a group, then it is all the gear

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour Metallic Black
4,366 Posts
This past June, I did a 2500 mile round-trip to Key West. Only wearing T-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes. No helmet in South Carolina and Florida. What a blast!

Reactions: PapPaw

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Gearing up could be a regional thing. Here in CA wearing a helmet is mandatory so that's #1. Also, I’d say most riders here are geared up to some extent. The Harley guys not so much but most others on BMW’s or big road bikes are dressed for the ride so to speak.
I still see riders wearing shorts and tennis shoes but they aren’t in the majority, at least here in the San Francisco area.
Personally I feel strange just moving my bike out of the garage without my helmet and gloves, just doesn’t feel right.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Most all my riding is done in blue jeans. Tennis shoes for local riding, Dingo boots for distance (trips) riding. On hot sunny days a long sleeve sun screening shirt, sweatshirt on slightly cooler days or denim jacket. Lined jeans and leather jacket when cold. All my riding is done with open face helmet.
So in other words, I am not an ATGATT rider. Don't wear helmet, HANS device and 5-point harness in car when going for groceries either. (you know "dress for the crash, not the dash").
Wheel Tire Jeans Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
2012 comfort,navi,audio,XM/ 2002 1100 Shadow Spirit
1,721 Posts
I used to ride with no lid and wearing jeans a t-shirt and sneakers. My family has convinced me to wear a lid now and I've discovered the right textile jacket, gloves and boots aren't so bad. I don't understand the sport bike crowd. Dude is wearing a fullface lid, jacket, gloves and boots while his lady is in a lid, short shorts, bikini top and high heels. Don't get me wrong the ladies look sexy AF! Just no protection while her man is riding a wheelie at 70MPH on the freeway.

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
Mostly all the gear, only exception is jeans. They won't be much help on a slide, but better than shorts.

Reactions: Freedom

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good to hear all the input, Again, kinda taking a poll here, no judgments. I'm new to this forum and still trying to get the lay of the land.
For me, riding a moto is inherently dangerous considering the balance, coordination, level of alertness required and dealing with car drivers who are impaired or distracted by their devices.
I can be as careful and skilled as possible and there will still be some idiot who changes lanes and cuts me off, or makes a left turn in front of me cuz they didn't see me. Thankfully I've never gone down but I've had enough close calls to where I figure the man upstairs is trying to tell me something.
I'm not afraid of riding, been doing it for decades and love it. I just don't want to push my luck is all.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts