Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the doctor Friday and while he wants me on light duty for work. I asked about riding the motorcycle and he thought that would be okay. I may have failed to mention that today I was thinking of a 500 mile ride.

I left out this morning to help with the street painting that the club I walk with on St. Patrick's Day in New Orleans does in Algiers. They paint the street in front of Old Point Bar on the corner of Patterson and Oliver right by the levee of the Mississippi River. I left about an hour before sunrise. The weather man lied to me again, he said it would be 28 degree and warm up to the upper 50's down south. When I left the house it was 27. I checked again just south of Jackson and it was 25. A little bit later is was down to 23 and hit 21 just before sunrise. I stopped in Brookhaven for a hot chocolate and to warm up a little. By then the sun had come up good and started to warm up. I had never crossed the Mississippi River at Gramercy so I looped a little west and crossed there. From there it is a nice ride along the river to Hwy 90 and then keeping to the west bank to Algiers.

First photo; Lake Maurepas along I-55
Second; Blind River swamp along I-55 I actually worked out there for a week a long time ago. They took us to work in boats and we waded around all day cruising timber.
Third; Bridge at Gramercy
forth; Mississippi River
fifth; arriving in Algiers

Attachments

G

·
Mark ,you are hell of a tough man. Light duty and riding 500 miles in freezing weather. Good pics, What is the thing in top of gas tank ,red and rising, silver on end?

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be my 10th year to walk in the St. Patrick's Day parade, but the first time I attended the street painting. Here we are busy at it. Notice the guys with the rollers are painting themselves into the middle. My buddies Chris and Doug cook a mean pot of crawfish.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The crawfish boil is what tempted me into riding down there. I could have taken the car but it was a beautiful day, sunny, just a little brisk in the early morning. The Abita beer that went along with the crawfish was pretty good too. The Hughes Cemetery is pretty typical of the cemeteries down there. This one is in Algiers and the bridge behind it is the bridge over the river back to downtown New Orleans. I jumped on it to take the quick way home. It stayed in the mid 50's all the way home. A very good day and I put just under 500 miles on the bike. I will have to go back and ride more of that river road along the levee. There were some interesting plantation homes along the route. If I wasn't late to the party I would have stopped and taken more pictures along there.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark ,you are hell of a tough man. Light duty and riding 500 miles in freezing weather. Good pics, What is the thing in top of gas tank ,red and rising, silver on end?
That is a felt sleeve that one of the ladies in my GWRRA chapter made. It slips over the intercom cord and keeps it from rubbing on the paint of the tank. The doctor just doesn't want me lifting and toting. I only felt a little twinge on my incision one time and that was when I was almost home.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Looked like a great time....You certainly had the leathers for the job

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Wow. I say you earned some kinda Iron Crawfish Association award for your Saturday. Looks like great fun. When it warms up a little more ill be making my Jackson runs. You care tell other good stuff to do. Take care. Light Duty eh?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Very nice my friend. Looks like fun & glad you had a nice ride.

Oh & get well.

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
Crawfish ? We might have called them " crawdads " up here. Morphologically, they look similar but ours were very small. We didn't eat them. Called that " creek fishing ".

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Cool beans Mark. I'll be wearing me "Beanie O'Greenie" in the tropics this year but celebrating St Patty's Day along with ye.:icon_wink:
Slainte! all yis Leprechaun fans:Ireland::beerchug:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts