Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat I asked my wife where we should go this year for our extended motorcycle trip. She said she didn't really know, kiddingly I said lets go to Alaaska..........She said okay, lets do it. Something we both have been wanting to do for a while. So now we are starting to plan the budget, route(s) there and back from SW Fla. and places we may want to stop at on the way. We are planning to go to Fairbanks and will be pulling our trailer.
Has anyone recently made the trip from the contiguous USA to Alaska? And does anyone know what the roads are really like up there on the Alaskan Highway. Oh, is anyone interested in making the trip with us. We will be taking the month of July 2011 to do it in.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. To do Florida to Alaska and back in 4 weeks is going to be long days. Good luck and remember to take pics for us.. Ride safe..

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have time, you might check out the following link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328587&highlight=oldwing

This the story of a young man who rode his wing from NC to Alaska and back in 2007. He took his time to say the least. It is a long read, but I really enjoyed it. He also took a lot of good pictures.

He came right through my area on his way. Very entertaining to read his take on where I ride.

I have to say I had daydreamed about making that trip, but after reading this account of the trip, I doubt I will ever go.

Hope that helps and sounds like the trip of a life time. Take pictures and keep us up to date on your progress.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
There was a recent write-up in WingWorld about a couple that did the Alaska trip. They found one really nasty patch of road (Top of the World Highway) from Skagway to Dawson City Yukon; about 30 miles of gravel/mud and poor weather for it = tough sledding. As far as I know, the Alaska highway is all paved though. You might check out www.milepost.com. If you're by my way on either direction to or from, let me know, I live right off Hwy 2 north of Edmonton an hour and a half. That's the road to Mile "0" at Dawson Creek BC and the start of the ALaska Hightway.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Wyo Winger: It maybe long but it's a good read. It took me hours but it was good. Eric

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Same here Wyo, I spent several hours today reading that account of the NC to AK trip. What a great adventure. Thanks for the link. I won't do Miami to Anchorage but I sure do plan on making a trip up your way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same here Wyo, I spent several hours today reading that account of the NC to AK trip. What a great adventure. Thanks for the link. I won't do Miami to Anchorage but I sure do plan on making a trip up your way.
Lots of good riding up this way. Are you planning that for this summer?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I was hoping to but looks like that'll be next year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was hoping to but looks like that'll be next year.
I know what you mean. To many plans, to little time.

I am hoping to get away for a week sometime this summer for a loop over through Idaho and back. I have yet to see much of Idaho and would like to try camping and biking. One night might be enough, but I'd like to try it.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I will probably ship the Wing up your way when the time comes and tour around Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. It's a long way from Miami and with limited time that's the only way I can do it comfortably.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I came down the AL-Can a couple of years ago, not on a bike, the road is in much better shape than my first trip to Fairbanks. The only part of the road that may give you some concern is between Beaver Creek and the Alaska State line. The ride is, in one word, AWESOME. I took Canadian hwy 97 that is your best bet, Canadian hwy 37 is ok but the fuel stops are few and far between, it shortens the ride by about 200 miles, but hey, your in it for the ride. Lots to see along the way, just keep you eye out for wildlife and frost heaves.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I came down the AL-Can a couple of years ago, not on a bike, the road is in much better shape than my first trip to Fairbanks. The only part of the road that may give you some concern is between Beaver Creek and the Alaska State line. The ride is, in one word, AWESOME. I took Canadian hwy 97 that is your best bet, Canadian hwy 37 is ok but the fuel stops are few and far between, it shortens the ride by about 200 miles, but hey, your in it for the ride. Lots to see along the way, just keep you eye out for wildlife and frost heaves.
Terryj,
thank you for the input, I was looking at route alternatives and was leaning towards Hwy 97 also. I want to thank everyone for the input so far, I have recieved some good information, also I recieved some direct emails that were very informative. I am still researching and trying to gather as much data on road conditions and lodging along the way. I am getting mixed reports on roads and what is consider good conditions. Also, does anyone know of any organized groups that ride to Alaska? I found the one that goes from St. Aug, Fl. to Alaska, that seems to be the only group one I could find so far.
Thanks again.:)

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Wow, that would be an awsome ride. My wife would never go for it. Well, she would, but it would involve an airline flight up there to meet me. Keep us informed and have a great trip.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
One of my riding partners and I would love to go to Alaska, but it isn't going to happen this year. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a trip I WILL DO someday, and hopefully, someday relatively soon. The small group of people, that I regularly ride with, want to do this trip. We come from various economic backgrounds, so some of them need longer to save up.

From the KC area, it's 7200 miles round trip. I was planning 3 weeks. I would love to be able to take the road all the way to Fairbanks, then ferry back down to Vancouver on the way back..

Gotta keep a good journal and plenty of pics for those of us still in the dreaming stage of the trip!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife and I are throwing up the idea of taking our GL1500 on our vacation to Colorado this year...Will be me, her, and the dog in the side car....

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
My wife and I are planning a trip from Medford, Oregon to Missoula, MT to visit her brother, on the way back we're planning on going through Yellowstone and back thorugh Idaho. It will be a good way to spend a week.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is a trip I WILL DO someday, and hopefully, someday relatively soon. The small group of people, that I regularly ride with, want to do this trip. We come from various economic backgrounds, so some of them need longer to save up.

From the KC area, it's 7200 miles round trip. I was planning 3 weeks. I would love to be able to take the road all the way to Fairbanks, then ferry back down to Vancouver on the way back..

Gotta keep a good journal and plenty of pics for those of us still in the dreaming stage of the trip!
We are still not sure on the AK trip. We will be going out west and across most of the USA but maybe not Alaska this year. It was a last minute thought and the more I reseach it I think the more planning is need for the trip. It is a trip we will definetly make but maybe not this season. I have recieved a lot of input and it varies a great deal on conditions, roads etc. Also I made some phone calls to AK about the Ferries and some of the lodging. It is very expensive, time restricted and a lot of places were already booked up for the season. I think it takes more than a month to plan out.
But we will be taking an extended trip soon and we are looking forward to that. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife and I are throwing up the idea of taking our GL1500 on our vacation to Colorado this year...Will be me, her, and the dog in the side car....
Wingit95,
When are you planning on going to Colorado?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts