Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow morning when I wake up, it's off to Alaska! The Wing has been prepped-several times, the gear has been inspected-several times, luggage has been packed-several times...I'm acting like a kid waiting to go to summer camp.
The plan is to drive the Wing to Bellingham, board the ferry to Whittier, then just kinda see where the road goes. No time limit, no destination, just seeing where the road goes. My best friend (wife) will be riding on the back. Ain't life good.

For those who haven't done this trip (me) I'll be taking video of some of the practical things that I would have liked to have seen while planning the trip. I.e. boarding the ferry and strapping down the Wing, good/stupid farkels, tire wear, lighting, etc.
If you see a 2012 White (the fastest color), with an ugly driver and a beautiful passenger with Cali plates, say hi.

M

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Wow, what a adventure. Have a great and safe time and we look forward to seeing the pics/video. I've often thought about such a trip to Alaska.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Migolito as Two Wheel said don't forget to post some pictures. Enjoy your ride & you are correct about having your wife with you. It's the best isn't it?

Will you be posting ride reports for us here? In preperation for it I moved your thread to the Recent Rides and Riding Experiences subforum.

Again have a great time.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I've thought about it too. Wouldn't mind doing it with a buddy like Larry or Ron. Have read others trip stories and Alaska can dish out some weather and road conditions can be challenging. Those that have been said they'd probably do it again but it wasn't an easy trip. God speed to you dear friend and may the Gods of fair skies find favor upon you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ride of a lifetime. I did it last summer, Ocala Florida to Alaska and back. I was not on a Wing (Concours-14) but that gives me another reason to do it again. My favorite road in Alaska was the one from Whitehorse to Skagway. It was cold 35 degrees and a snow flake or two (July 4th weekend) but what a ride. I also like Juneau, check out the Alaskan Brewery if you get there. Nice tour, rich history and free samples. I took the Ferrry back from Juneau to Bellingham because of a bike problem (should been on a Honda). At first I was pissed but had a great time on the ferry. Pitched a tent on the deck with about 25 other bikers and had a blast telling lies and stories. Went a little over 11k on the trip and was gone 6 weeks. Enjoy the trip is unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
What's your routing? Are you ferrying up there and then riding back or both ways?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
S-Cal to Bellingham-ferry to Whittier, then roads back to S-Cal. Looking at Kenai Peninsula, Denali, Fairbanks, down to Haines, ferry to Skagway to Cassiar hwy then south. This is a very ruff and changeable route.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I have thought about that trip also, but as I still have to work, there's just not enough time.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
Wow, that sounds great. WHEN I go it will also be by ferry up there. Look forward to hearing and hopefully seeing your adventure.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
We live about 45 minutes from the Ferry Terminal, would buy you a cup of coffee if you have the time.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
sounds like a grand adventure, be safe and have fun

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
We live about 45 minutes from the Ferry Terminal, would buy you a cup of coffee if you have the time.
I'm kinda thinking Ron about you and me and some more old farts and riding up in Alaska. You still up for another big trip?:cool:

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Wow souds like an adventure. Can't wait to see the pics. My wife has added a trip like that to our bucket list. Last week she saw a GW in our town that had Alaska plates on it. She said she would like to ride our GW up to Alaska sometime.

Be careful out there and Ride Safe !!!!

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I'm kinda thinking Ron about you and me and some more old farts and riding up in Alaska. You still up for another big trip?:cool:
I don't know about going to Alaska, as long as I have lived out here it just has never interested me. I could give you guys a send off meal though.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
I can see myself doing that trip. In the mean time tell us all about it Eric

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I don't know about going to Alaska, as long as I have lived out here it just has never interested me. I could give you guys a send off meal though.
I figured you'd say that, just trying to amuse you. :p The relentless rain of the NW must be a sobering reality. You guys probably dream about the weather of the SW.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
If your plans and routes change to the eastern side of the rockies, keep me posted. My place is just a minute's detour off Hwy 2, the lower part of the Alaska Highway system. We're about 6 hours from Dawson Creek (south) which is Mile 1. You're welcome for a stopover and a hot meal and good night's rest.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I figured you'd say that, just trying to amuse you. :p The relentless rain of the NW must be a sobering reality. You guys probably dream about the weather of the SW.
Raining again this morning. It is getting tiring. I could go for a couple weeks of that Texas Sun.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.