Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with these?

When I purcased my Wing, it had a Corbin seat which fits me like a glove but is not very well padded. I'm considering trying an Airhawk for both cushioning and air flow, but thought I'd seek some humble opinions before I invest.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang... A whole week went by with nary a response so I decided to ordered one anyway from Wingstuff. What a difference it made. We rode 300+ miles to Death Valley today and another 300 would have been a piece of cake.

If you've got a hard seat, the Airhawk might be the ticket.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Sorry you didn't get a response.
Two things come to my mind though. 1) Did you notice that you said that you were riding. Well you know I'm jealous I go to the garage & look at my bikes. LOL
2) Thanks for the feedback on the product maybe you'll help other guys.:D:D:D

Safe riding dad maybe some month we'll get rid of this white stuff here in Pa. & start riding too.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
i use a gelpad on my seat not for comfort my seat is comfortable but its too low. i've had it long enough that the memory foam has worn away

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a Corbin seat as well on my 85 LTD and it fits well.It does'nt flatten out after an
hour or two like my stock seat but its a hard seat,thats the trade off.I would'nt mind trying a an airhawk seat cushion but alas they arn't listed for the 1200. I'm now thinking about a Sheepskin cover
any other ideas for softening a hard Corbin seat a little?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The Airhawk doesn't sit you much higher than usual when properly inflated. You're only slightly higher than your normal height, but a lot more comfy. The attached Youtube video link describes how to inflate and adjust the seat for opimum comfort. I suppose if you inflated it enough, you could pick up and extra 1" - 1 1/2" of height.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G_yZLgF76c

I had some concerns regarding supporting the bike when stopped because my legs are short but the air in the cushion shifts into adjoining cells when I extend my legs downward resulting in no change of height.

Sorry Bill, the Airhawk won't help much with your PA situation. If it makes you feel any better, Furnace Creek in Death Valley was so cold yesterday, people actually resorted to wearing t-shirts instead of tank tops and only about half the people we encountered dared to wear their flip-flops. :D

Bstar, I wasn't 100% sure myself regarding the size I needed so I went to the manufacturer's website to check. The Medium Cruiser (14" X 14") fits the stock GL1800 seat and probably most other Wings as well. I measured my Corbin and the "medium cruiser" size was a perfect fit. Here's their link as well

http://www.therohostore.com/Products/AIRHAWK-Seat-Cushion---Medium-Cruiser-Seating-System-wCover__CRUISERMEDIUM.aspx

The manufacturer's website sells the cushion for $189.95 and Wingstuff sells it for around $170. Order $5.00 worth of extra goodies and Wingstuff offers free shipping (for orders over $175) to boot!

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Great personal product review, Radarsdad. Two thumbs up for posterior pleasure. I went to the International Motorcycle Show in D.C. yesterday, with some pocket money to burn, but none of these vendors were there. $15.00 to cover the ticket purchase could have gone towards a " click it " purchase.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've tried both models of the airhawk - and was astonished. Seems so simple, but this is one idea that actually works.

I gather than the company developed the idea from products made to improve comfort for burns victims....

Anyway, my wife (She Who Must Be Obeyed) and I have tried tham - deluxe premium and budget versions, and they work astonishingly well. Not much difference between the two versions in terms of performance, but eth delux one is made of softer, thicker rubber, so should last longer.

Hedgehog:D:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hey rojerronny, you got mail;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey everyone, found this post on the Airhawk and thought I would chime in for anyone considering these. I rode a Honda VFR for years and have always had a tough time with a sore tail bone when riding for anymore than 45 minutes.
I picked up the Airhawk for my saddle and immediately noticed a big difference. One thing I need to mention is that you need to pay attention to the amount of air pressure you use in the cushion. You need very little air in them for them to work as they are designed. Put too much pressure in them and they will act much like the firm seat you are trying to fix.
You only need to be off the original seat about a 1/2 an inch or so. I can't remember exactly what the directions say, but it close to that.
I purchased a new left over 08 Goldwing about a month a go and was going on a 3500 mile trip soon after. I thought, what the heck, I will throw the Airhawk on there and try it. I am very happy I did. It worked great for the whole trip.
One down side is that I could not feel much of the seat heat through the cushion and I rode in some fairly cool temps. I was up in Canada and the night I pulled into my destination, it was 38F and raining. I hit a point in that journey that I had to take the cushion off so I could feel the heat better. But once it was warm enough, the cushion was back on.
I am from Canada, but now live in Alabama. The reason I say that is that I struggle horribly with the heat of the south. Before I put the Hawk on the wing, the stock seat made by butt sweat so much it looked really bad when I got off the bike after a decent ride. No, not nice to picture I am sure...but I am also sure I am not alone with this challenge.
Once I put the Airhawk on, all those issues were gone. The cushion allows air to circulate under your rump so the heat does not build up. At least, that is my experience. The other good thing is that it will also channel the rain out from under your butt. I rode in some heavy heavy rain and it worked great there too.
I will say that eventually I still do get a sore tailbone, but it take a lot lot longer to bother me and it never gets as bad as just using the stock seat. If anyone has some tips on the cure for a sore tailbone, I am all ears.
I have owned my Airhawk for over 8 years and it is still in "as new" shape and it has held up great. No rips, tears, or leaks. I also take it to stadium games for a seat cushion...lots of uses for it.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
+1 on the Airhawk. I posted on this some time ago. I had an Airhawk several years back and was pleased. Sold the bike and everything else with it. Fast forward 10 years, second time around I just thought I'd try other solutions... Well bought another Airhawk. For me there is nothing better

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been using an Air Hawk since 2003 or 04 and I believe them to be the BEST solution for a seat. I have an 02 VTX retro and I bought an Ultimate four piece seat for almost a grand and I still have to use the Air Hawk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts