Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question regarding air deflection. I am considering getting some air wings (Baker's) , but not sure what I need to keep the buffeting off my wife when she rides with me. Last time she rode with me, she was tucked or leaning in toward me and I asked her about that, she indicated that she was getting buffeted around.

Which sets are necessary? Hand, air, leg??????

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
On my 98 I had the air wings. On my 09 I had the leg and hand set. I bought the air wings for the 09 but never put them on. My daughter who rode with me liked the 98 with the air wings and said they helped the most with wind turbulence. My 98 also had a Tulsa Tall windscreen which I'm sure also helped.

·
Administrator
26,123 Posts
I have the leg wings, but Tulsa mirror wings. Only thing is the two don't color match well at all, Tulsa's blend with my bike's color nicely, but the leg wings have a blue-ish tint. Sure helps keep the bugs off the feet and saddle bags though. The mirror wings help the air flow on the hands in cold weather, don't seem to be bad in extreme heat either.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
you don’t say which model wing you own....

For buffeting on my ‘08 I just used the hand wings that attached at the mirror and an F4 + 2 windscreen.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Just a quick question regarding air deflection. I am considering getting some air wings (Baker's) , but not sure what I need to keep the buffeting off my wife when she rides with me. Last time she rode with me, she was tucked or leaning in toward me and I asked her about that, she indicated that she was getting buffeted around.

Which sets are necessary? Hand, air, leg??????

Thanks.
Ok this is going to sound crazy but I cut 1.5 inches off my stock windscreen and the buffeting went down to near zero. Also I am not sure if this pertains to baker or clone units but so many of these seem extremely brittle and crack around the screw holes. This seems most predominant in the wings under the mirror and on the engine guards. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have the Baker Air wings and mirror wings. The combination seems to help. One other thing to try is to open the windshield vent slightly. It will eliminate the dead air behind the windshield.

·
Administrator
26,123 Posts
My two piece Windbender solved the air flow issue and pretty much all the buffeting. No experience with the F4

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I have the windshield all the way up when riding 2 up. I also have Baker air and hand wings. I adjust them to minimize her head buffeting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I first got my 03, it had a stock windshield and no airwings. The wife wasn't happy, and even I had issues with the wind pushing us around. I installed a Madstad windshield, similar to the Windbender mentioned above, and a set of mirror and Baker Built AirWings. The Madstad was the fix for the buffeting, the Airwings not only helped with that, but control of the air flow greatly enhances the comfort when riding in the heat and the cold as well. Short of replacing the windshield, installing a vent in yours will help greatly. Killing that vacuum behind the shield is the key. Good luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the ideas. I do have the windshield vent. Once the riding season returns here in Michigan, I'll have to do some experimenting.

Appreciate your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
you don’t say which model wing you own....

For buffeting on my ‘08 I just used the hand wings that attached at the mirror and an F4 + 2 windscreen.
I have the F4 +2 on my '08 and I have it set at the #2 from the bottom position and my wife says she isn't getting any buffeting at all.

I get some from time to time at 70 mph while on the freeway. Would the mirror wings stop this?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I have the F4 +2 on my '08 and I have it set at the #2 from the bottom position and my wife says she isn't getting any buffeting at all.

I get some from time to time at 70 mph while on the freeway. Would the mirror wings stop this?
Well I reckon it depends on your wife’s height. My wife is 5’4” and it does help. She tells me when I forget to raise the screen and close the wings.

One thing that no windscreen or Baker product will help is getting behind big trucks, their turbulence beats the snot out of her. I lay back until I can get around them quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts