Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally had a chance to ride by 2010 in Temps below 60 degrees. Tried the grip and seat warmers, and opened the foot heat vents. NICE!!! Maybe it is just me though, I can't seem to feel any air coming through the two louvered vents. (one on either side just below my knee). Hot weather, cool weather, foot vent open or closed it doesn't seem to matter. I feel NO AIR moving through those. Have I killed too many brain cells over the years?:eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
With all the air moving around that area, it may be that you just can't detect the movement. Maybe try taping some thin ribbons to the vents, something 3-4" long and bright colored would do. Then take a ride and see what happens to those ribbons with the vents open and then closed?

I suspect that they just relieve a low pressure area and prevent other air from swirling in that area?

I close them in cool weather, and open them in hot. don't notice much difference, but I don't think about it a lot. :)

I doubt you have any brain cell loss due to these vents or thinking about them. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2008 GL1800. It has the louvered vents but no controller for them. Is there a conversion kit to make these operable.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I don't get much out of mine either, but then I don't really care. The vent in the windscreen is the best airflow control going IMO. I put the Tulsa mirror deflectors on mine and I like what they do to deflect wind away from my hands (hot or cold weather) though. What's missing now that the weather is cool-cold in the am is something to take that freezing feeling off the brake and clutch levers...dang that's cold after having your hands on the warm grips.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Use a pair of heated gloves. The plug in variety. They solved all my hand problems in winter. The heated grips are OK, but as you found out, they don't help with the rest of your hand!

And PilotRon, what controller are you talking about? Those vents just open and close by pushing on the little tab in the middle. There isn't any other control for them.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
I have finally had a chance to ride by 2010 in Temps below 60 degrees. Tried the grip and seat warmers, and opened the foot heat vents. NICE!!! Maybe it is just me though, I can't seem to feel any air coming through the two louvered vents. (one on either side just below my knee). Hot weather, cool weather, foot vent open or closed it doesn't seem to matter. I feel NO AIR moving through those. Have I killed too many brain cells over the years?:eek:
Many, if not all of us, agree that those knee level vents are worthless. Any puff of air they may emit from them is direct air from the front of the bike and doesn't pass over the radiator. Honda could have made a stash pocket out of those and we could have used them for something.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Not much air comes through those vents. You are not alone. Seem to be more decorative than functional.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pilot: Please me more specific. Are we talking about the louvered vents just left and right of your calf's ?
Yes, those are the ones. Don't they have a control up near the left windshield lock on the "Comfort" model wings?

I didn't know about the lower ones by your feet. Maybe those are the ones that need that control bar.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Yes, those are the ones. Don't they have a control up near the left windshield lock on the "Comfort" model wings?
If you are you referring to the second picture of the vent at the bottom. Yes. The comfort package does have the Open/Close lever. If they were a gimmick I would say just ignore it, but they actually add something to the warmth. As far as adding the mechanism I don't know. Let's go shopping. The one's in the first picture are worthless, as mentioned.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chopin114,

I just checked, my wing does not have those open/close vents by your feet. The whole lower area must be different on the Comfort Package Goldwing. I do have the regular looking vents by your knees. Not sure of their purpose.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Chopin114,

I just checked, my wing does not have those open/close vents by your feet. The whole lower area must be different on the Comfort Package Goldwing. I do have the regular looking vents by your knees. Not sure of their purpose.
Their purpose is to look like they do something. Imagine a rear spoiler on a Smart Car. We call the bottom vents " toe warmers ". It might be an overstatement but it does emit engine heat down there.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
PilotRon, the vents are a triangular piece in the lower cowl just behind the enginguard and in front of the brake or shifter pedals. The actuator/open-close lever is under the left speaker grill. Pretty sure all 1800's have it. They do up here, but we only have the two option levels: all the bells + airbag, and non-airbag.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
They do on my 1500, I especially like the lower ones that send the heat back to you in the winter time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 97 had the foot warmers but my 04 doesn't. Wish it did but... what can you do. May but the foot wind wings on and see if my toes stay just a little bit warmer in this weather. Got to get hand warmers to extend the season a bit.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Those vents are useless on the 1800's. No, there is no kit to make them operational.
I believe they were intended to work as the ones on the 1500's did but, somebody dropped the "ball" during the design of the 1800. Nice vents w/no air ducted to them!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I did the ribbon check yesterday, and there is a small amount of air movement out of the vents. Probably just left-over air from the rads. It does feel a tad warm on the cool mornings and evenings now though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts