Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1983 GL1100 Goldwing w 43,000 miles.....I am wanting to know if anyone has had problems with the air shocks they do not inflate?
Is ther a common probblem with them?

George

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... GEORGE ... WHEN I BOUGHT MY 85 1200 LTD THE BIKE HAD BEEN IN STORAGE FOR 3 yrs. ... THE AIR SYSTEM WAS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY AND AFTER PUTTERING AROUND WITH IT FOR A FEW DAYS I GOT IT WORKING ... USED ELECTRICAL CONTACT SPRAY AND A SOAP SOLUTION FOR ANY LEAKS ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
my 82 will not pump up either, getting ready to tear down the air ride system and find the problem. We went riding over the weekend in the mountains and ended up letting the wife ride with someone else because everytime I hit a dip in the road mine went to the bottom and that made it a little hard to handle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Started on the air ride system today, checked air pressure first and it was still at the same pressure it was when I checked it Friday night. Checked the junction box and air lines and they are clear, no blockages. Took the shocks off and put some weight on each shock and depressed them down, so they are not froze and the shock feels pretty stiff, no oil so apparent anywhere on the shock so the seals should be good. Where do I go now?

·
Registered
31 Posts
How do you measure the shocks, overall length or center to center on the mounting holes? According to the chart on the progressive website my shocks are suppose to be 13 inches, measuring from center to center on my old shocks they are only 12.5 and 13 3/4 overall deflated off the bike. Now I found a slightly used set of progressive air shocks on ebay that are for a GL1500 which according to the chart the only difference is they are 13.5 where mine calls for a 13. How does everyone feel about putting the GL1500 shocks on my GL1100? this should solve my overweight problem. Hoping to get some good opinions here. Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put on a set of progressive manual shocks and done away with the rear air suspension. Now I am not hitting bottom but It is so low I am rubbing up in the fender and cutting up my rear tire. Looks like it is not mean't for us to ride together. I ws looking at the breakdown of the swing arm and I see a part that I can't find on my bike. Come someone tell me where number 3 is?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts