Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting frustrated by a potential front tire air leak and thought I'd throw it out for consideration. I'm pretty good about keeping up on my tire pressure, I run E3's on my 1500, run the front 38-40 and the rear 41. Friday night I checked my tires in prep for a Saturday ride and found the front 3psi low and topped it to 40. Rode about 65mi Sat morning and prior to leaving on the scheduled ride again found it 3psi low. Topped to 40 again and left for the afternoon ride 2up with the wife. After riding and the bike setting about 1 1/2 hours during a break, rechecked the preesure and it was still at 40, we continued on our ride. This morning I rechecked the pressure and again found it 3psi low. Raised up the front end of the bike and got the front tire and valve stem in a pan of water, leak check and examine the tire at normal pressure and at 50psi +, found no evidence of a leak, now I'm not sure if there is a leak or if it's my tire guage. Since I'm unable to ride for the next week, I've once again adjusted the tire pressure, checked and compared with 2 different guages and will see if it leaks out next weekend. Which brings me to 2 questions...
(1) Is there anything to put in the tire for a slow leak or would you have the tire dismounted and checked. (2) Is there a "must have" tire pressure guage out there? Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I had an air leak on the rear tire because the valve stem was never replaced when they put the new tire on last year, the shop left the same rubber one in place that had been there since the previous owner. I had a new E3 put on the rear and Honda put a new valve stem on and I haven't had any problems. You may have a faulty tire pressure gauge and may wish to try a digital one. Some people put 'Fix-a-flat' or 'Slime' in the tire, but I understand it damages the aluminum rim. You may have a defective valve core.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ambient temperature change????? Might be the culprit. Just a thought...
chrisgl1800

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
There are only 3 places air can escape from the tire. Nail/puncture, rim seal or valve. I'm going to guess the problem is the valve stem, unless your rims have developed rust or the tire is punctured. The smallest crack in the valve will cause a slow leak.

As far as a gauge, I use a digital air pressure gauge which is small and accurate. Don't put slime in a m/c tire if at all possible. Carry a tire repair kit and use your air compressor on your 1500 for emergencies. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If the rubber part of the valve stem is old it could be cracked and cause the air leak. On cars the valve stem is replaced every time you change your tires, but for some reason on a bike most shops won't do it unless you ask for it, I change mine every other tire change. You might go to a metal valve stem instead of the stock Honda one. Patchboy has them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, update. Bike sat from last Saturday night til this morning. Checked the front tire pressure and it was 38, down 2 psi from what I left it at when I parked it. Topped it to 40 and rode 25mi to work this morning and back this afternoon. Idiot me, I didn't check the pressure before leaving, rode the 25mi home, when turning the the conrner onto the home street I notice that front end wobble. Parked and immeadiately checked the front tire pressure, 15psi! Holy Crap!:eek: Once again filled that pan of water and dropped the tire into it, the water level covers the rim and valve stem, no bubbles, added some detergent to the water, no bubbles, increased the air pressure to 50psi plus, no bubbles!:mad: I can only assume the leak is in the form of a crack that opens when the tire rolls over it and splits it open. Looks like we are taking the tire to the shop... Crap, this tire only has 7000mi on it:mad:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I think you ought to get that tyre checked and or replaced, something's definitely amiss. Did you check the valve core for leakage? The other thing you can do is wiggle the stem when the tyre is in the water bath. If there is any cracking in the stem it will definitely show up if you wiggle it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Budoka...where were you Wednesday night?! Took the bike in yesterday morning and decided to put on a new SET of E3 tires, hated to put on a new front and leave the 7000mi rear on, keeping the rear for a spare if need be. Asked for new stems with the new tires. Picked up the bike today, the problem WAS the valve stem :eek:. I never moved the valve stem when it was under water, it never leaked the slightest bit! we can only assume the force on the stem with the wheel tuning exposed the leak, the tech didn't find it until he removed it. I was a little p*ssed with my dealer and told them so... they could have replaced the stem and put the original tire back on and saved me $400, but on the other hand, now I have new tires and a spare set with several thousand miles left in them in case of an emergency, or just need to replace this set. Either way its all good now, I'd be putting on new tires next year anyway:rolleyes:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If the rubber part of the valve stem is old it could be cracked and cause the air leak. On cars the valve stem is replaced every time you change your tires, but for some reason on a bike most shops won't do it unless you ask for it, I change mine every other tire change. You might go to a metal valve stem instead of the stock Honda one. Patchboy has them.
Thats what I told you a few days ago

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know joe, I know. Honestly I checked it as well as I thought I could, short of putting a hand on it and wiggling it around. A lesson learned from the more knowledgable winger out there.:eek:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
"Budoka...where were you Wednesday night?!"
Sorry Whacker, but I just learned how to walk through walls, still have the being in more place than one to get a grip on;). Seriously, that is unfortunate. I'm going to call the nearest Lehman shop and see if they have a rear take off to put in my garage, it seems like a good investment in both time and money, not to mention the convenience at change over time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts