Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. I ride a 1986 Interstate and have a lot of problems with simple things as the bike is very heavy and it is almost impossible to access the tires because of the big saddlebags which covers everything as well as the large disc brakes which get in the way.

I noticed that when I removed the right side cover under the seat, there was an air inlet. Is this for putting air into the rear tire or has it got something to do with the shocks ? I find it extremely hard to fill my tires with air, actually almost impossible at the gas station. Is there a simple way to do this ?

I love riding it but am considering selling it as everything is hard to get to on the motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the inlet is for the shocks coolrider. when you replace your tires have them replace the valve stems with stems with a 90 degree turn insted of the streight stems

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
As said in the above post, there are different style stems you can use. Checking the tires isn't that hard once you do it a time or two. Put the bike on the center stand and turn the wheel where it's easy to get at. You have to bend over but you have to do that to check your car tires. Or you could get a tire pressure monitoring system, they have a readout that tells you how much air is in your tires.
check these out
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/11242_goldwing_Tire_Pressure_Monitor/des/

·
Registered
265 Posts
Being an up and coming old fart,i just throw a towel on the ground,and lay down on the ground to check the back tire on my 1500.It is 90degree stem equipped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys for the useful advice. I am deciding to remove the saddlebags as I hardly use them and this will enable me to get to the tire air inlets as well as to cleaning the wheels and chain lubrication etc. I am also considering buying and attaching valve stem extenders for the future if I need the saddlebags back.

Can someone please tell me how much air pressure should the shocks have and does this one air inlet on the right side, below the seat, feed both shocks, can I just pump regular air from the gas station or does it need special air/nitrogen ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My center stand seems hard to work and I am also afraid to drop the bike as it may lose balance as I attempt to stand up on the center stand pedal, do I need to lubricate any part before I try this ?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Thanks a lot guys for the useful advice. I am deciding to remove the saddlebags as I hardly use them and this will enable me to get to the tire air inlets as well as to cleaning the wheels and chain lubrication etc. I am also considering buying and attaching valve stem extenders for the future if I need the saddlebags back.

Can someone please tell me how much air pressure should the shocks have and does this one air inlet on the right side, below the seat, feed both shocks, can I just pump regular air from the gas station or does it need special air/nitrogen ?
You dont have a chain to lube?? I have an Aspencade so I have an on board compressor that fills my shocks, not sure about the interstate. Center stand is easy, just use the chrome infront of your saddle bag,grip with your right hand and put your right foot on the center stand and left hand on the bar. Move the bike up right till you feel both sides of the stand hit and then push with your foot and lift with your foot. Easy... Good luck

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
don't leave the valve stem extenders on while riding. if the air pressure in the suspension is too low the bike will sit lower making it harder to get on the center stand

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Sorry I can't recall the psi range for that model Wing, but it takes very little input to change the pressure, and yes there is just the one shrader valve for both shocks. On my Interstate, I only adjusted the rear shocks when we were loaded and two up, and in the spring; when the bike sat over the winter it would soften up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts