Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a 78 GL1000 in nice condition with 85000Km Compression is 170 even. Did carb work and synyc but it runs rough and coughs on idle. especially cold from start up. Plugs new . I noticed a lot of bubbles in gas line . A big fat one sits just below the gas tank and smaller ones come out of the fuel pump through the cone filter and into the carb . not a steady but intermittent regular flow of air bubbles. Is this normal or if not , what is the likely cause? I see no gas leaks around the clear hoses. I think first simple thing is to get new hoses and filters. The filters look new and clean but the clear hoses have turned yellow and are quite soft with no spring type clamps anywhere.We drained the tank to do the carbs and gas flows well through the shut off and the screen inside is clean. I'm hoping that if I can clear up these air bubbled it might idle better but I'm not sure if this is a problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi cab, have you checked an cleaned the contact points? gl1000's have points located on the rear of the left cyl head. gap is .014. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but this one has been changed to electronic ignition . I just noticed after replacing all the lines and filters the air bubbles seem to have been reduced. but the bike still idles poorly . I noticed that #2 cylinder is not running on the idle at least. I pulled each plug wire off and no change in #2. I switched plugs and # 2 still not running but it has spark as I heald the plug against the side and it is working. Plug is dry white so I guess this points to plugged Idle jet in #2 . Do you think this is possible?. If so I had a person do the carbs A quick clean. maybe missed this one. There are some fixed Jets that can't be removed for cleaning . Is this the case. I thought before I spent the big bucks I could try to clean that jet. but then I would have to sync again and I don't have a sync guage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A quick carb cleaning NEVER works, you need to do it again and this time blow compressed air on every hole you can find.
The sync gauges can be build dirt cheap, go to Grainger's or someone cheaper that sells vacuum gages and they are around $3-4 each, mount them on a rack and get 4 air cut-off valves that are used for aquarium air lines, they are used to partially close the line so that the gauge needles do not dance. Turn the valve until you have just a small amount of movement. Get 4 - 1" screws with the same thread as the screws in the intake tubes, cut off the head and drill a 1/16" hole in the center and slip it on the end of the clear tubing. The whole thing will run you less than $25. Make sure you have the air/fuel mixture screws set to 1 1/2 turn out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You might try running Seafoam in the fuel system for a tank or two. This has saved alot of carb removeable & cleaning for alot of people. Its worth a try. Seafoam can be found at most auto parts stores.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts