Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's an age thing, but I wish that my 07 was quieter than it is. I used to marvel at how quiet Wings were when they passed by me standing at the side of the road. But now that I have one, I wish that I could make it quieter. My exhaust is stock as far as I can tell, and if I could find a bolt-on fix, I'd buy it. I like smooth and quiet in both my cars, and my bike. Noise gets tiresome after a while !

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Most folks want more noise, but you seem to want to go the other way. I don't know if there is anything quieter than the stock exhaust. Did you buy the bike new? If not, perhaps the previous owner did something to the exhaust. Find another Wing or go to a dealer and check the sounds and see if they are the same..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Most folks want more noise, but you seem to want to go the other way. I don't know if there is anything quieter than the stock exhaust. Did you buy the bike new? If not, perhaps the previous owner did something to the exhaust. Find another Wing or go to a dealer and check the sounds and see if they are the same..
Bought with 5900 km on it. Sounds same as others. Been wondering if turn down tips would make it any quieter. Had same 'problem' with wife's Eclipse GT . Solved it by removing chrome cannon from muffler. Exhaust note is 50% quieter now to my ears. Wish I could jam another muffler or something into the end of existing mufflers on my Wing, or close some holes in the baffles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd be very careful modifying the stock exhaust, especially by closing holes in the baffles. You're likely to end up with degraded performance.
Can't imagine anything much quieter than the stock exhaust though...

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Been wondering if turn down tips would make it any quieter.
Turn downs will probably add some noise because you will have the sound reflecting off the ground under the exhaust. Will give it a deeper sound but not quieter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would think that wind noise would be more annoying than the exhaust note. maybe extending them out a few inches would get the exhaust note away from you a bit.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I had turn down and outs on my 1200 and it really changed the sound level especially for my wife on the back. The 1500's and
1800's are different because of the 6 cyl. engine and it's respective note(s). Extensions are like the best cure for you though, just do some research and you should be fine, lots of options for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maybe it's an age thing, but I wish that my 07 was quieter than it is. I used to marvel at how quiet Wings were when they passed by me standing at the side of the road. But now that I have one, I wish that I could make it quieter. My exhaust is stock as far as I can tell, and if I could find a bolt-on fix, I'd buy it. I like smooth and quiet in both my cars, and my bike. Noise gets tiresome after a while !
You can only keep that much horse power so quiet. Perhaps ear plugs would do the trick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just came back from a cold 9 days in Miami/Keys. Saw a couple of wings go by that were practically silent. Probably 2000 or newer as they appeared similar to my 07. They were practically silent. Man that appeals to me! Can't ride her in the cold here in Toronto, but am still thinking about the exhaust sound.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
jsm: Personal question, I know, but do you hear a constant background noise in your ears , even in a quiet room ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny guy there. Yeah, I do have tinnitus, but I find that as I get older, noise bothers me more. I like good loud music at times too, but would rather listen to music or conversation through my headsets than hours of exhaust noise. Just went to Toronto Motorcycle Supershow yesterday, and am still the only person that seems to ask how to make it quieter than noisier!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Next time you're in a car when the Wings go by, try turning down the music and opening the window - you should hear them better that way:)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Funny guy there. Yeah, I do have tinnitus, but I find that as I get older, noise bothers me more. I like good loud music at times too, but would rather listen to music or conversation through my headsets than hours of exhaust noise. Just went to Toronto Motorcycle Supershow yesterday, and am still the only person that seems to ask how to make it quieter than noisier!
I have it also. It bothers each in its own way. It's an interesting problem because in some ways it's a form of hearing loss, and in some ways a problem with filtering all the incoming noises and focusing on the one we are interested in. Granted, you'll have better luck making the bike quieter than the noise in your head, but both are to blame. Good to meet another member of the Tinnitus Club.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for input Commander K and Chopin114. Good idea to listen to wings on the highway sometime. Coulda done that this summer when I followed a pair of wings for about an hour at approx 75 mph up the highway. Oh well. maybe in the spring. Had the ringing in the ears for about 2 years now. It's all water under the bridge now isn't it ? The joy of being over 50 !

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
53 and counting down here. I noticed that static in the ear for some time but never gave it much thought. Went to an ENT and described my symptom and she said : Oh! you have ________ ". I should have remained ignorant.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Your quest to quiet a Goldwing triggered something in me to ask if you had background noise in your ears. I got a nice case of it. Before I knew what it was I noticed certain sounds would grate on my nerves: the high pitch " SCREECH " of the brakes on a trash truck; the " DING- DING " chime of the car reminding me I left the keys in the ignition; a plate droping on the floor in a noisy restaurant; a noisy restaurant; etc., etc. The only consolation I have found is finding alot of others who share it. Three of them are my neighbors. It may be coincidence, but all three of us came from backgrounds in working around aircrafts. If misery loves company, you'll never be alone in this club. We'll probably have more success changing our reactions to the adverse sounds around us than the environment. Besides, when it's quiet without it's still noisy within.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup. Lots of people have tinnitus. William Shatner (Captain Kirk) has complained of it for many years since an on-set explosion damaged his hearing during making of Star Trek. He is one of the earliest public examples I can remember.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts