Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
I have a second hand Corbin seat on my 1500.
It's comfy and looks nice.

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Hartco. Very nice look at some of my pictures in & around the GWOF.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked at the Hartco website, and really like the looks of those. They dont list prices, do yoiu remember what you gave for yours?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a Diamond Seat on my 1500 and the best is it was FREE! A chapter member gave it to us when he replaced his again. We got several years of use on that faded seat before sending it back to Diamond so they could recover it. Not bad for a seat that is 19 years young. Put the stock seat back on until the Diamond came back and we could hardly wait for it to come back.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
I've got a Diamond also. Worth noting that Diamond and Hartco actually have the same owner. You might notice on the websites, they have the same address.

My Diamond was made with consideration for the inseam and weight of both myself and my co-rider. Inseam is important to determine the proper width of the seat. Weight is needed to determine the density and thickness of the foam. It was 6 years ago but I think I paid close to a thousand dollars.

My only complaint about the Diamond is their seatpan does not line up with the brackets easily unless you take out the grommets. Once it's on, you may postpone buying any accessory that requires removing the seat.

I don't know how much of the above is true of other brands.

One of the best things about a custom seat is you can change your seating position. That is, if your'e tall you can move the front seat farther back but that cuts into the space for your co-rider. If your'e short, the front seat can be moved farther forward but that will cause more of a bend for your knees. Adjust the amount of foam to raise or lower the seat. Many changes can be done, but they all have downsides.

Before spending that kind of money, try some various seat cushions. If you're in a riding group, there are likely some guys who have one you could test ride. Even though we have high density foam in the Diamond seat, we also use Airhawk cushions.

Lots of choices out there. Thats just part of the fun. //Fun? Is that an abbreviation for frustration?//

Take care and ride safe. R

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
I just looked at the Hartco website, and really like the looks of those. They dont list prices, do yoiu remember what you gave for yours?
Got mine off Ebay, the seller sold many of them at the time. But he has since gone away.

I paid $300. for mine.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i have a saddleman that i picked up used off of craigslist

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
B.D. here's another option for you as well. They have pads like the WalMart gel & they also will put the gelpads in your stock seat, even can add heat too it.. This would probably be best done in the off season. I did talk to this guy once as I was contemplating putting heat in my Hartco. He was really approachable, since he was close to our location he even recommended that I ride down to the shop, go spend some time in the town & pick the bike up after it was done. I didn't get it done because I decided to just go with Heated gear but he was the type of guy I would do buisness with for sure.

http://www.buttbuffer.com/default.asp

·
Registered
74 Posts
On my 1200 I had a Daylong Saddle. After installing it and floorboards the highway boards never got used again. Thinking about getting on for the 1800 this winter. Best seat I have ever bought.

But that is my opinion.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I am quite comfortable with the stock seat on my 1800 but I do agree with Ridefree that the Day Long is one super seat. I got one for my FJR and it changed that bike from a 300 mile a day ride to a 900 plus ride. If I ever, and I do mean ever, decide to go custom seat again, I would only go with the Day Long. They are pricey but in this case, your butt gets what you pay for....Isaac

http://www.day-long.com/gallery_Honda.html

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, looks like there is a big veriety out there to choose from! And not one stands out above the rest.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
I still have the stock seat on my GL1800, but I had a Saddleman Road Sofa on my GL1500 and loved it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What I like about the Daylong Saddle is that it is not a one size fits all. Pictures of you sitting on the bike, height and weight are all taken into consideration when they build your seat.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ultimate Seats

I had a full set of Ultimate seats on my Valkyrie. Now that I've just purchased a 2005 Wing, a new set of Ultimates will be one of the first additions, hopefully within the next couple of months. To me they're extremely comfortable and supportive, plus they look great! :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Before spending a lot of money on a aftermarket seat that you won't know if it will really be any better than your stock seat. Sure you can sit on a demo at the Wing Ding, for what 5 minutes? Then you make a decision to spend a $1000.00 or so that to me requires 3 to 5 hours of real seat time to make the right decision. I bought a 2008 Wing in California. I then rode it back to Cincinnati. After the first day I was thinking I really made a mistake. I bought the Wing for long range rides and it was very uncomfortable to me after only three hours. I was able to have the stock heated seat reworked to make for a more comfortable ride for much lower cost. Check it out before you pull the trigger on a new seat.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I have never before had a problem nor my wife with the stock seat on my 03 1800 but my 2010 is awfull for both of us , it's heated the 03 was not . I am not wanting to blow more money so I went for a Alaska sheep pad it helped but not a cure. I always liked Corbin but wow are they expensive for a Wing ! Maybe my old butt just needs to toughen up !

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Ultimate, Russell, Corbin, Mustang...all have excellent reputations. It's largely a matter of personal choice.

·
Registered
363 Posts
After doing more research, I'm going to go with the Russell Day-Long seats. As I mentioned previously in this thread, I had Ultimates on my Valkyrie. How-ever I like the idea of the Russells being 'custom fit' to your physique. Hopefully, I'll place the order just before Christmas. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
See if you know someone with a seat you are looking for and if they will let you take a long ride on their bike. Five minutes at a show or even one hour on someone's bike might not tell you what you want to know. Many have spent a lot of money on a seat that is less comfortable than even the stock seat. I know, I'm one of them. There is a guy named Rick Butler in Texas who reworked my stock 2008 heated seat. Rider and passenger. He does great work, can not tell if anything has been done to seat. Tell him your issues and he most likely can help at a huge savings over most aftermarket seats.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.