Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple long trips I took, 500+ miles per day, I noticed tire pressure dropped as much as 2-3 pounds by next morning. Both trips were south in August and weather was "real" hot. I spoke to several other bikers who seemed to have no issue and noticed some different valve stem on their "wings." The whole assembly looked like a tank turret, a solid metal round top with the stem out the side. I think I've seem these on older wings although they are not stock for my '01.

Are they OEM from earlier years? Will they work (and not cause balance issues) on an '01 or later? Do they actually reduce pressure loss? I'm just full of questions...it seems a pain to crawl around every morning to put air back in one or both tires.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are you checking pressures before and after you ride? The pressure will be lower in the morning after cooling off all night. I noticed that since they are such a pain to check you may be losing 1-2 lbs just checking them. I put on the screw on pressure caps, they come in different pressure ranges and indicate green, yellow or red. Not a precious measurement but is a good indicator. Not sure the brand name but I bought them at the local Honda dealer.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
The whole assembly looked like a tank turret, a solid metal round top with the stem out the side. I think I've seem these on older wings although they are not stock for my '01.
I'm guessing they have a " Tire pressure Monitoring System " ( TPMS ) on their wheels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No check pressure and adjust in morning. Check again next morning. Should be equal comparison. Maybe torque on valve stem is answer or at least part of it. Looks like stock stems are only force fit and I thought maybe high temp was increasing pressure. Never checked pressure mid ride.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The last couple long trips I took, 500+ miles per day, I noticed tire pressure dropped as much as 2-3 pounds by next morning. Both trips were south in August and weather was "real" hot. I spoke to several other bikers who seemed to have no issue and noticed some different valve stem on their "wings." The whole assembly looked like a tank turret, a solid metal round top with the stem out the side. I think I've seem these on older wings although they are not stock for my '01.

Are they OEM from earlier years? Will they work (and not cause balance issues) on an '01 or later? Do they actually reduce pressure loss? I'm just full of questions...it seems a pain to crawl around every morning to put air back in one or both tires.
On my '06 I have the right angle valve stems. You should be able to get them for your bike. I am thinking about going with the metal right angle stems next time the tires are off. Easier to fill. You could probably get these too.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Tire Pressure

Hello all,

I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned Nitrogen in this forum discussing tire pressure.

I had a 1999 GMC Suburban that I had all four tires filled with Nitrogen right after installation and I NEVER had to fill my tires again in 3 years!

I'm trying to find someone in my area that will do my GW tires, but apparently there are no Tire Nitrogen shops in my area.

Also, I do like the pressure gauge valve stem caps. They make it convenient to check at a glance within 2-3 psi.

Thank and let me know what ya'll think about Nitrogen.

Sgt Charlie

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello all,

I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned Nitrogen in this forum discussing tire pressure.

I had a 1999 GMC Suburban that I had all four tires filled with Nitrogen right after installation and I NEVER had to fill my tires again in 3 years!

I'm trying to find someone in my area that will do my GW tires, but apparently there are no Tire Nitrogen shops in my area.

Also, I do like the pressure gauge valve stem caps. They make it convenient to check at a glance within 2-3 psi.

Thank and let me know what ya'll think about Nitrogen.

t Charlie
Always run nitrogen in my Shelby tires. Love it!!!! I did notice a few more spinouts with the car when entering turns hard. It's a stick with 485 hp at the rear wheels. When I switched to nitrogen the tires seemed to take forever ever to warm up and I'd lose the ass end in turns. I learned to be careful on cold days .... ha ha California so not so cold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.