Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I just picked up my first wing, a 2005 model. I am 6'3" and everything feels to cramped for me. A Day Long saddle is on the list and I would like to do something with bars. The stock ones are "turned in" to much to be comfortable. I've searched the internet but haven't found any fixes available. Any ideas???
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Yeah I saw those and please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they will do what I am looking for, these are bar risers and only give adjustment up and back. The problem I am having is the bars come back at too much of a "V", so needing something to change the angle of the bars. I am needing something that is more straight across like Motocross bars so they fit my hands when they are put straight out. The way the stock bars fit me when holding on to the grips, my elbows have to be pulled into my torso at an unnatural and uncomfortable angle.(hope this helps to explain my situation)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ted, I have the same issues with the stock bars, Heli Bars is supposedly
coming out with a set this spring There is currently not much info on there
website but a rep I spoke with indicated a release this spring. Helibars.com

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Ted: You are a bit taller in the saddle than me, but I just recently installed some handlebar risers. It's impossible to say if the previous owner had did any handlebar mods yet. Removing the top display shelter should show evidence of some modification to the handlebars. Choose you aftermarket bar risers carefully. Some just move the bars up and back while other move them up and back and inwards. You can only go so far with adjustment before you run out of available cable length.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm only 5'-9" so I can't help much but to bump this thread back on top. Good luck. I know around here and in Europe, Helibars, like Redwing mentioned are very popular. Surprised that they didn't already have something for the Wing. I'm thinking a combination of bar position and perhaps a new seat is the ticket.

·
Administrator
29,017 Posts
Thanks, Yeah I saw those and please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they will do what I am looking for, these are bar risers and only give adjustment up and back. The problem I am having is the bars come back at too much of a "V", so needing something to change the angle of the bars. I am needing something that is more straight across like Motocross bars so they fit my hands when they are put straight out. The way the stock bars fit me when holding on to the grips, my elbows have to be pulled into my torso at an unnatural and uncomfortable angle.(hope this helps to explain my situation)
Yes Ted you are correct that is what they do. I know at one time someone made what you described for the 1500's. I will do some research maybe they do 1800's. Although something tells me it was MBL Innovations.

·
Administrator
29,017 Posts
Ted,

I found it & it was in fact MBL Innovations that used to make a replacement bar for the 1500's (it was narrower though not wider). Maybe if you contact them they can do something for you. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Just my $.02 here, but I'd wait until you do the seat mod before you do the bars. You may find the seat makes enough difference to save you the trouble as your riding position/posture will change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I emailed MBL Innovations today and got a reply saying they had adjustable bars for the GL1800 coming out but not sure of the release date, but would email me when they knew something. Sounds like good news.

·
Administrator
29,017 Posts
I emailed MBL Innovations today and got a reply saying they had adjustable bars for the GL1800 coming out but not sure of the release date, but would email me when they knew something. Sounds like good news.
Good info for others to have Ted. Glad that it looks like it may work out for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Police,

I checked out the bike last night, no bar risers installed. I think the discomfort comes more from body width rather than heigth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I talked to MBL again this week and they refered me to Helibars. Here is the reply I got back from them yesterday.

We are working on something for this bike. We are hoping for a August release. I will keep your e-mail on file and let you know when they are ready.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Redwing,
Thanks for the link to the clip. It looks like these bars should solve my problem, I will be ordering as soon as they are available.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Did they indicate what the price would be on the new bars?

When I installed my bar risers it looked like if you swapped the risers to the other side that it would spread the bars instead of bring them in. I didn't try it but it looked possible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts