Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm re-building a 1975 GL1000. There is a curious piece of aftermarket electronics under the left side pod cover. It is an electronic ignition box called "Dyna". I wasn't expecting to see this in this bike since it originally used points and condenser and coil type ignition. Does anyone know anything about this thing? What is it replacing in my ignition. Is it any good? Should I keep it, or try to rebuild the stock ignition the way it was originally. I like to have a stock look, but I don't care about any hidden stuff, so if this thing is good, I will keep it. By the way, I have never seen the bike running, and I'm quite a ways from testing the engine to see if it will run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hii Vinwing,
It sounds like to me that someone has changed your bike over to "Electrnic Ignition" which I would think would be a very nice and not seen up-grade to your "want to keep as stock looking as possible bike." If I were you, I'd wait until the bike is ready to try starting and see how it does as is. Once installed and working properly I think is a much more dependable system. Get her ready to run, I think you'll be very pleased. Good Luck!!!

Hope this helps.

Safe Rid'n!
Ben

85 Interstate 1200 "First Wing and very proud!"

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi vinwing, the dyna s ignition system was a great upgrade back in the 70's compared to those pesky points that needed adjusted every month due to the engine heat. keeping it would be a good idea. in the future if you need info on how to set the ign timing with the dyna let me know an i'll walk you through the process, very simple. good luck with your great project. by the way, the dyna replaces the condensors as well as the points.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Vinwing,
The Dyna ignition is the only way to go!
My '76 had an old style Dyna set up that had a remote box under the left "tank side". It went out shortly after I got it so, being cheap, I cobbled together the points set up and it never ran as good as the old Dyna.
Which prompted me to research the Dyna and see if it could be fixed.
I sent Dyna the serial #'s and they responded with the fact that they couldn't fix it, and would I like to purchase the new improved Dyna Ignition?
I did, and not only does it perform flawlessly, it is easy as all get out to set up.
And the new one doesn't have the little black box, just wire it to a good power source, that only has power when the key is on, and connect it to the leads that go to the coils.

Dyna's Rock!
Mine's been on the bike for four years and I don't have to think about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
best thing i ever fitted was electronic ignition,and i thought it was better standard , i fitted cbr 1000 coils from a breaker and removed the coil ballast resisitor made it easier to start not just seemed it was more cleaner running
tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts