Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do a little market research for a school project that I am currently working on and would like some help. Myself and a few class mates are working on developing an aftermarket auxiliary adaptive headlight for motorcycles (similar to the adaptive headlights on the high end Lexus cars). We are looking at the Goldwing market to start our testing. The short version is that it is being developed to automatically auto-level itself and turn the correct direction that an upcoming curve in the road is going. This will greatly increase visibility during turns while riding at night and hopefully help decrease riding accidents.

Here are some key things I would like help with:
1. opinions on the idea in general
2. Would you buy one if this was actually available to the public?
3. What would riders want this to look like?
- bolt on auxiliary lights
- flush mount to the fairings
- etc...
4. Any functions in particular that you would like to see in a product like this?
5. ???? anything you would like to add

Any Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

*Hopefully I will have some pictures and video available of our current progress in the near future.*

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
These are strictly my opinions based on my 2010 Gl1800. Others will vary.
I think the first question should be are Wing riders happy with the stock headlights and stock manual electric leveling?

I was happy with the stock headlights, but I did change the bulbs to PIAA's because I wanted them brighter. I am very happy with them now and have zero complaints.

Auto-leveling: the GL1800 has an electric rider controlled leveler that works very well. I wouldn't spend any money for auto-leveling as I do not need to change the aim often enough to warrant the expense. Space is tight on a Wing so I don't know where you'd mount an ECU that detects bike angle. Not a lot of room behind the stock headlights to mount motors for auto aiming.

As to the lights aiming towards where you turn, it's a nice idea but I have more than enough light now to see where I am turning. I would suggest that this system take into account speed (or have manual override). At parking lot speeds it would be a lot of wear and tear on the drive mechanism aiming the lights when it was not needed.

As to how they would look: I've added the lower cowl lights and I will not hang additional lights on the bike such as those that go in the opening above the front fender. I like the way the bike looks now with the lights intergrated into the body parts (headlights and lower cowl) and I have enough light now.

I think any new light kit like this should be HID (less current draw and higher lumens). The kit should be easy to install by the do-it yourselfer. Instuctions should be accurate and clear. A lot of the aftermarket Wing accesory instructions are almost useless.

That's my 5 cents on the topic.
Rob

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Quite honestly, I'm amazed at the headlights on my '09. Lo beams are more than adequate and the hi beam floods the road like the landing light on my plane. As for the turn feature, my wifes' car has it, and I don't think it's that much of an improvement (but it does help some on sharp turns), and with the normal lean angle when turning on a motorcycle, any benefit would likely be lost. The electric height adjust is more than sufficient for my needs as well. Not to rain on your parade, but I think the cost would far outweigh the benefit on any bike.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hate to be the bear of bad news...we don't need a head light...we need a windshield that sheds the rain water so you can see through it...maybe even a windshield wiper that folds away and only comes out when it rains...

sorry...thought I give you another idea for a product...at least one I need...

As for the head light...I have to agree with the previous posts...on the 2010 the bright lights are pretty bright and light up the road...not sure if I would buy another item to enhance the stock lights....(although I did buy the fog lights...not real bright...maybe you could incorporate your product into the fog light area...)

And now...Budoka...since you gave away the secrete that you have a plane...when I take my trip to Alaska next year I am expecting you to fly my wife from Wisconsin USA to Alaska since she won't go on the bike for that long of a trip.....:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
The only thing better than a Wing in my opinion would be having my own plane! I envy you Budoka! Can you get chrome parts for a plane? PlaneStuff.com?
Rob

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My plane is a simple "bug smasher" C-172. FL51 flys the sexy stuff (a G5 if I recall) but yeah, it's hard to feel sorry for someone that has their own airplane. Alaska is doable in my bird, but you'd have to get pretty creative with fuel and weight & balance etc. It has full instrumentaion, but a 172 is far from an IFR plane due to icing and the single engine. I've flown over the rocks in it, but don't recommend it especially for a low time pilot, too much can go wrong in those conditions and contact with cumulous granite will ruin your day big time. Sorry SClights, didn't plan on hijacking your post, just happens sometimes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Budoka,
Free plane rides if I ride the Wing up to Canada? I love flying! A 172 is awesome - lucky you! I've been in those a couple times. Once with a Syracuse National Guard jet pilot in their club plane. When he aimed it straight at the ground and did a couple spins I thought I was going to lose my lunch! I so wish I had my own airplane!
Rob

·
Registered
108 Posts
Less see automatically auto-level itself and turn the correct direction that an upcoming curve in the road is going. Sounds like a coal miners helmet would fit the bill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts