Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont ride every day for several different reasons and so the bowls tend to dry out after a while...

is there a prime setting someplace i can open to refill the bowls so i dont run the battery down, cranking the engine, trying to get enough fuel in the carbs to actually get inducted into the engine?

my procedure usually is like this...

roll the bike out of the garage.
turn on the key, ensure neutral, crank until battery is nearly dead.
pull side cover and hook up charger.
go in drink a coke or coffee and go to the bathroom.
come back out disconnect charger and attempt to start. again...

this cant be good on the starter or other systems...

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Nope, that's no good. But why would your carbs bowls dry out in the course of a few days or even weeks?

If you want to experiment, try charging your battery first, before even trying to start it. Wings are picky about low current.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
If you want to try another experiment, shut your fuel petcock off at the end of your next ride...and then remember to open it JUST before you start cranking the engine for your next one. If this helps, your fuel pump may be holdly pressure poorly.

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
The 1500 has a vacuum operated petcock, if the vacuum line going to it is in poor condition, it won't open up properly to allow fuel to pass. I would start with that first.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
turn the key on and off a few times to get the fuel pump to pump some extra fuel in the bowls

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
all wings '84 and new have an electric fuel pump

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
All 1500s have an electric pump in the tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 95 also has this problem but usally only on the first start after sitting over the winter. Sometimes after sitting for a while early or late in the season here in Pa at lower temps in can be a bear to start

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.