Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
here is a link to the ones I use.

Certainly worth a try to see swapping out the stock stem stops the slow air leak.

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
And make sure the protect holes for the bearings and valve stem.
I have already contacted a powder coating guy near me and we've discussed the prep work. He's done these before and assures me he's got the bases covered.

Thanks for the caveats MichaelB and Bcihil

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned T-stems:

I put FOBO sensors on my Wing last year (on metal 90degree stems) but bought these after removing the FOBO's a few times to add air. So far I've only installed one of these T-stems on the front, but I'll put the back one on when I need a new tire (or get ambitious). The FOBO works well - just need to remember to disable the app at the end of the day to not kill my phone battery. Much nicer than crawling around on the ground.

·
Registered
210 Posts
On the wheels that already have the low profile OEM TPMS stems there is really no deed to replace what is there.
On earlier wheels that have the metal/rubber stems, then yes, anything would be better.

As to Norm's rear wheel that seems to have a bit of a leak, I'd suspect the that the wheel was not cleaned adequately when the last tire was installed. I'd bet the air is leaking from around the tire bead.

·
Registered
106 Posts
On the wheels that already have the low profile OEM TPMS stems there is really no deed to replace what is there.
On earlier wheels that have the metal/rubber stems, then yes, anything would be better.

As to Norm's rear wheel that seems to have a bit of a leak, I'd suspect the that the wheel was not cleaned adequately when the last tire was installed. I'd bet the air is leaking from around the tire bead.
Norm experienced the same leak BEFORE putting on a new rear tire. I do have my doubts (now) about the dealership, but this has been a problem from day one, when I bought the bike from the dealership. What did the service department say when you asked them about the leak? (you may well ask). They said tires leak all the time. Another reason I have my doubts about the dealership. Since the soap bubble test seemingly ruled out the valve stem, I agree that the problem is probably with the wheel itself. In the winter, when I have the wheel off the bike, I'll take a close look - before I have it sent out for powder coating. I'll immerse the entire wheel in a tub of water and see where the bubbles come from. I'll report on the result of that exercise then.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned T-stems:
View attachment 273064
I put FOBO sensors on my Wing last year (on metal 90degree stems) but bought these after removing the FOBO's a few times to add air. So far I've only installed one of these T-stems on the front, but I'll put the back one on when I need a new tire (or get ambitious). The FOBO works well - just need to remember to disable the app at the end of the day to not kill my phone battery. Much nicer than crawling around on the ground.
Ahhh! I see it. Leave the FOBO on the vertical part of the stem, while refilling using the horizontal part of the stem. Clever indeed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ahhh! I see it. Leave the FOBO on the vertical part of the stem, while refilling using the horizontal part of the stem. Clever indeed.
I just installed the FOBO caps. It took three and four passes of the app install to finally get the phone to acquire the FOBO caps, but it's a wonderful asset for the bike. Now I can quantify the air loss. It's tracking at about 1/2 psi per day. The T-stems will make life easier refilling the tire so, that's going on order next.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
and how long between battery changes on the FOBO caps?
The first set i put in, the ones that came with it, lasted 1 yr.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just tried to install a set of the new FOBO 2 sensors on my 2019 GL1800BD. There is only an idiot light for TPMS on the basic model. Anyway, after 4 hours of trying everything to make them work I gave up. No matter what I did both tires were losing air immediately. I saw nothing different with or without the stem nut security attachment. From what I am seeing, it appears that the threaded depth of the sensor is too shallow and I think it’s hitting the core air release just enough to deflate the tire. The instructions say it has to have enough threads for five revolutions and mine tightens down after four. The concept is great but I’m not sure changing the valve stem would do any good. I hate to continue spending money when I’m not sure of the solution. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that they didn't work for you.

I didn't count the revolutions putting the sensors on my valve stems, but I have no leaks. And it only took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to setup the app on the phone and to get everything to work. The only parts in the elaborate kit I used were the two FOBO caps. If you need to replace the valve stem on the wheel, that'll cost you a chunk of change at the dealership, and it's not worth it.

I didn't swap any hardware on the wheel. I just replaced the plastic valve cover with this baby.

It's so nice to be able to see the exact tire pressure in both tires before I roll out of the garage, and not have to do the dance to get the rear valve into a position where I could get a pressure gauge on it...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ich musste fragen, (I had to ask - save you the hassle of looking this up in Translate Google)

Alles Gute... (all the best)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ausgezeichnet! I started relearning German in 1992 by reading Michner's Space. I had one copy in German and one in English. It was easier to look up the translation for words I didn't know in the German version of the book by more or less reading the English version of the book in parallel. After about a chapter, I didn't need the English version any more.

Speaking and writing are still more difficult than reading or listening to German audio books, but with patience, my handy Spark's Chart (quick grammar reference) and a Translate Google, I do fairly well.

Keep up with the studies.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I just tried to install a set of the new FOBO 2 sensors on my 2019 GL1800BD. There is only an idiot light for TPMS on the basic model. Anyway, after 4 hours of trying everything to make them work I gave up. No matter what I did both tires were losing air immediately. I saw nothing different with or without the stem nut security attachment. From what I am seeing, it appears that the threaded depth of the sensor is too shallow and I think it’s hitting the core air release just enough to deflate the tire. The instructions say it has to have enough threads for five revolutions and mine tightens down after four. The concept is great but I’m not sure changing the valve stem would do any good. I hate to continue spending money when I’m not sure of the solution. Any suggestions are welcome.
That's weird. I would've thought all valve stems were about the same, thread-wise. FWIW, I never had any issue with either style of stainless steel valve stems what happens. The 90degree ones I got from Wingstuff, or the T-stems you can get from Fobo. The T-stems from Fobo are also super handy in that you don't have to remove the sensors to add air. If you switch to those, you should be pretty much guaranteed that it'll work - unless there's something wrong with the sensors you recieved.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts