Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
here is a link to the ones I use.

Certainly worth a try to see swapping out the stock stem stops the slow air leak.

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
And make sure the protect holes for the bearings and valve stem.
I have already contacted a powder coating guy near me and we've discussed the prep work. He's done these before and assures me he's got the bases covered.

Thanks for the caveats MichaelB and Bcihil

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned T-stems:

I put FOBO sensors on my Wing last year (on metal 90degree stems) but bought these after removing the FOBO's a few times to add air. So far I've only installed one of these T-stems on the front, but I'll put the back one on when I need a new tire (or get ambitious). The FOBO works well - just need to remember to disable the app at the end of the day to not kill my phone battery. Much nicer than crawling around on the ground.

·
Registered
100 Posts
On the wheels that already have the low profile OEM TPMS stems there is really no deed to replace what is there.
On earlier wheels that have the metal/rubber stems, then yes, anything would be better.

As to Norm's rear wheel that seems to have a bit of a leak, I'd suspect the that the wheel was not cleaned adequately when the last tire was installed. I'd bet the air is leaking from around the tire bead.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
69 Posts
On the wheels that already have the low profile OEM TPMS stems there is really no deed to replace what is there.
On earlier wheels that have the metal/rubber stems, then yes, anything would be better.

As to Norm's rear wheel that seems to have a bit of a leak, I'd suspect the that the wheel was not cleaned adequately when the last tire was installed. I'd bet the air is leaking from around the tire bead.
Norm experienced the same leak BEFORE putting on a new rear tire. I do have my doubts (now) about the dealership, but this has been a problem from day one, when I bought the bike from the dealership. What did the service department say when you asked them about the leak? (you may well ask). They said tires leak all the time. Another reason I have my doubts about the dealership. Since the soap bubble test seemingly ruled out the valve stem, I agree that the problem is probably with the wheel itself. In the winter, when I have the wheel off the bike, I'll take a close look - before I have it sent out for powder coating. I'll immerse the entire wheel in a tub of water and see where the bubbles come from. I'll report on the result of that exercise then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned T-stems:
View attachment 273064
I put FOBO sensors on my Wing last year (on metal 90degree stems) but bought these after removing the FOBO's a few times to add air. So far I've only installed one of these T-stems on the front, but I'll put the back one on when I need a new tire (or get ambitious). The FOBO works well - just need to remember to disable the app at the end of the day to not kill my phone battery. Much nicer than crawling around on the ground.
Ahhh! I see it. Leave the FOBO on the vertical part of the stem, while refilling using the horizontal part of the stem. Clever indeed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ahhh! I see it. Leave the FOBO on the vertical part of the stem, while refilling using the horizontal part of the stem. Clever indeed.
I just installed the FOBO caps. It took three and four passes of the app install to finally get the phone to acquire the FOBO caps, but it's a wonderful asset for the bike. Now I can quantify the air loss. It's tracking at about 1/2 psi per day. The T-stems will make life easier refilling the tire so, that's going on order next.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
and how long between battery changes on the FOBO caps?
The first set i put in, the ones that came with it, lasted 1 yr.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts