Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Looking to put a TPMS on my 08' Goldwing and wondering what other people have had good luck with?

thanks, Pat

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is the system I use. It works great. I have the one with 4 sensors because I pull a trailer also. I just put some Velcro on the back of the fob and just below the key on the dash. A quick look down and I can see the reading. They make a nicer unit that has the display that mounts to the bars. No interest in the ones that go to your phone. That is in my pocket when I travel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I own and have used the TireGard and the Tire-Safe Guard and they work as advertised.
Now I am using the FOBO and I prefer it. They all use the same type of sensor that mounts to the valve stem rather than being inside the tire.

Your only concern with any of these is that if you have a older wheel with the 90 degree metal and rubber valve stem is that you install an all metal valve stem.

I see you have an '08 so you most likely have the onboard OEM TPMS with the solid valve stems. Any of the above should work perfectly with your wheels.

When the OEM system detects a low tire situation or the batteries finally die in your wheel sensors, you will get a TPMS light indication of some kind. If you wish to deactivate the OEM TPMS system, there is a way to do it. Do a search on You Tube. The answer is there.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I use the TireGuard model 3-318 same as shown above but with a small screen that attaches to your right hand master cylinder perch, tire pressure at a glance and when away from the bike put in trunk or pocket.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I own and have used the TireGard and the Tire-Safe Guard and they work as advertised.
Now I am using the FOBO and I prefer it. They all use the same type of sensor that mounts to the valve stem rather than being inside the tire.

Your only concern with any of these is that if you have a older wheel with the 90 degree metal and rubber valve stem is that you install an all metal valve stem.

I see you have an '08 so you most likely have the onboard OEM TPMS with the solid valve stems. Any of the above should work perfectly with your wheels.

When the OEM system detects a low tire situation or the batteries finally die in your wheel sensors, you will get a TPMS light indication of some kind. If you wish to deactivate the OEM TPMS system, there is a way to do it. Do a search on You Tube. The answer is there.
[/QUOTE

Looking at the parts fiche for the 2008, it does not list the TPMS sensors in the wheels. They only list the 'bent' valve stems, even the the fiche shows the sensors. I agree that the valve stems should be replaced with metal ones.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I didn't know which year Gold Wing came out with the OEM TPMS. I didn't want to take the time to look it up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The one I have on my wing was called Rupse, but I've seen it rebranded under a lot of different names. Most current looks like Tymate, and the price has dropped since I got mine 2.5 years ago.

Has worked great so far. It's new tire time and I'm going to try a set of T valve stems.

·
Registered
106 Posts

I've gone to Amazon to look at all three of these TPMS options. The one with the best rating is the FOBO, but in the "Questions" for that device, I ran into this:

Question:
Will this fit on the 2018 Goldwings with their 90 degree valve stems?
Answer:
I would not recommend it. The centrifugal force of the added weight will cause a leak between the valve stem and rim. Depending on your wheel design....If you have the room, These do come with short straight valve stems to solve this problem and the problem people have with rubber valve stems.
By Jerry C. on March 1, 2020

What say you? Did you put these (FOBO Bike 2 TPMS) on your GL1800?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Regardless of which system you go with I highly recommend getting metal 90 degree valve stems. Having had an oem valve stem on my 2006 develop a leak 200 miles from home on a Saturday at 4:00PM I switched to metal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I put them on both my 2017 GL1800 and my 1998 GL1500. I also replaced the OEM rubber/metal stems
OEM Valve Stem.jpg

to the bolt on all metal 90 degree stems.
90 degree valve stem.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Regardless of which system you go with I highly recommend getting metal 90 degree valve stems. Having had an oem valve stem on my 2006 develop a leak 200 miles from home on a Saturday at 4:00PM I switched to metal.
Hmmm, the OEM valve experience you had could explain the slow leak I have on my rear wheel.

Looks like one more replacement part. Which stems did you use, and where did you get them?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have two different types.
The stems shown in my last post are from Cyclemax of Ohio. I have some of them but not used them yet.

The stems I used most recently are...
KurvyGirlStems.jpg
They are from this vendor. Last time I bought some I bought a dozen of them.
Kurvey Girl Motorcycle Stuff

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put them on both my 2017 GL1800 and my 1998 GL1500. I also replaced the OEM rubber/metal stems
View attachment 273043
to the bolt on all metal 90 degree stems.
View attachment 273044
My 2013 GL1800 stems don't look like either of these. They're all metal, and more boxlike and shorter. I can't find an adequate photo on the web or in the Service Manual, so can't share...

I guess I'll see how the FOBOs work when I get them. I would like to lose the slow leak on the rear wheel though, and may try replacing the stock stem. I tried the soapy water trick on the valve stem, but saw no bubbles what-so-ever. Maybe the leak has another cause. New tires didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry Norm, I did not know which year Wing you had. The newer Wing's do not have the older style of valve stem. My GL1500 and my 2003 GL1800 had the rubber/metal stems. I had a brain fart concerning my 2017.
I did not have to replace the stems on that one. It has the Honda TPMS system, which I do not like, so I bought the FOBO for it and installed the sensors on the OEM stems. They work fine.
OEM TPMS Stem.jpg

The FOBO is a nicer set up than the OEM system.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry Norm, I did not know which year Wing you had. The newer Wing's do not have the older style of valve stem. My GL1500 and my 2003 GL1800 had the rubber/metal stems. I had a brain fart concerning my 2017.
I did not have to replace the stems on that one. It has the Honda TPMS system, which I do not like, so I bought the FOBO for it and installed the sensors on the OEM stems. They work fine.
View attachment 273046

The FOBO is a nice set up than the OEM system.
I'm looking forward to knowing the tire pressure before I hop on for the next ride, without doing the driveway cha cha to get the valves where they need to be to get a tire pressure gauge on them.
(Man that's a clean wheel)

Thanks for the picture and the feedback.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm looking forward to knowing the tire pressure before I hop on for the next ride, without doing the driveway cha cha to get the valves where they need to be to get a tire pressure gauge on them.
(Man that's a clean wheel)

Thanks for the picture and the feedback.
Gotta love the ease of tire pressure checks. Don't be alarmed when you check the temperatures after riding for a while. The rear tire will be about 30 degrees warmer than the ambient temp. The front tire may only be 10 degrees about ambient.

Yes, I cleaned it yesterday after I rode it. I just took that picture a few monets ago by the way. The wheels on the 2017 are clear coated and cleaning is pretty easy. I spray some Simple Green on it and then do a light hose down of the wheel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got clear coated wheels too. Sadly the rear wheel was so caked up in goop (from leaks around the final drive) that moisture did it's nasty work and completely pitted the wheel. I sanded one side down to bare metal and it looks great. I moved to the other side of the bike and discovered the spokes... I'll be pulling the wheel OFF the bike this winter and getting it powder coated.

Thanks for the warning about the temperature variances with the FOBO TPMS. I won't panic!

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you are going to have it powder coated, you really don't need to do much to it as far as cleaning. The powdercoater should bead or sand blast the wheel as a prep to powder coating. When you locate a powdercoater, talk to them and ask what their process is. I've had a few wheels powder coated and all you really need to do is remove the bearings and seals (none on the GL1800 rear wheel) and anything else that is removable, like tires, valve stems and grease.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you are going to have it powder coated, you really don't need to do much to it as far as cleaning. The powdercoater should bead or sand blast the wheel as a prep to powder coating. When you locate a powdercoater, talk to them and ask what their process is. I've had a few wheels powder coated and all you really need to do is remove the bearings and seals (none on the GL1800 rear wheel) and anything else that is removable, like tires, valve stems and grease.
And make sure the protect holes for the beaings and valve stem.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Hmmm, the OEM valve experience you had could explain the slow leak I have on my rear wheel.

Looks like one more replacement part. Which stems did you use, and where did you get them?
here is a link to the ones I use.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts