Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a 1982 1100 Aspencade. 58k miles. Older gentleman is asking 1500 but told me if I come get it this week that its mine for $600. Bike needs carbs rebuilt. Excellent condition otherwise, garage kept. I have 2 other bikes. What else should I be looking at on these bikes? Carb rebuild a pain? Ive done it on others. Please give a possible new Goldwing owner any advice you can.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Carb rebuild should be just like any other as long as you have the kits for them. like any used bike, check the hoses, seals, brakes, tires, the usual, and don't forget the timing belts. Records are nice if he's got any.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. If you update your location we will know where you hang your hat.. The other BIG item with pre-1500 Goldwings is the stator. If you handy, which it seem you are, you may be looking at a real bargin. If you get it post some pics for us to see.

Good luck and ride safe..

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the GWOF from Seattle.

Could be the most enjoyable bike you ever bought for that amount of money. They sure shine up and look great when on the road. There are members on this forum that own these bikes and are very happy with them. You will probably hear from them.

Do expect to pay a premium for parts needed in the future with a 30 year old bike that was made for just a few years.

The stator in these bikes were troublesome and one has to pull the motor in order to replace the stator. It is not if, it is when. There are members on here that have done the stator replacement 3 or 4 times.

When ever this purchase question comes up on the early Wings, I always recommend a 1988 or newer as that is the first year of the 1500 cc 6 cyclinder and Honda made the 1500 for 13 years. There are quite a few of the 1500's on the road and used parts are plentiful.

Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I think the above about covers it. Depending on where it was stored and how long it was stored, you might want to give a good look for mouse nest, and frayed or chewed wires.
And welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello jstones, welcome to GWOF. 1000 and 1100 wings don't suffer from stator problems like the 1200 wings had but we are talking about a bike that is near 30 years old so when someone mentions the bad stator my question is " how long do you expect them to last? " did you get 30 years out of the last alternator you put on a vehicle

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
hello jstones, welcome to GWOF. 1000 and 1100 wings don't suffer from stator problems like the 1200 wings had but we are talking about a bike that is near 30 years old so when someone mentions the bad stator my question is " how long do you expect them to last? " did you get 30 years out of the last alternator you put on a vehicle
Very well put. Nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Timing belt #1 If you dont know the last time it was changed change it. Or if it set for while (years). Why take a chance . Valves will bend . Charging system on the 1100 have problems mostly are the 3 yellow wire connector to the left of the battery.( Recommend you do this). (thay burn an make to much resistance and charging of the battery is less than 15 Volts). Bypass the connector by cutting out the connector and solder the wires together and cover with heatshrink. Do one set at a time . Even thou it does not matter , as long as you do one set at a time. hope this helps clean behind the neg cable to the frame also ..Whoo there are other things but thay are 30 years old Bikes still thay are worth it. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
G'Day JStones. Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
At $600 bucks, you would have a good winter project. If you are a mechanic of sorts & have the extro $600. to put to it I don't think there is much risk there. If for some reason you get snafued parting the thing out would recoup most if not all of your money+.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thay are getting crazy prices on ebay ,But thats my store for parts and love the convenience and shipping these days is fast . Most prices are great if you know what thay are worth.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
You guys in the States just don't know how lucky you are with parts for old bikes. Here Down Under, it's hard to get parts full stop. We only sell 100 wings a year. So with the 1200's there would have only have been 300 sold. Sorry to all the younger wing riders [there aren't many] but a wing is usually riden by an older rider. And an older rider don't tend to put them down the road very often. Also over here they cost big bucks. I seen a 1200 wing advertised for $9000 last week. Our $ is about the same as yours. Because they cost such big bucks we tend to fix them. I have tried to get secondhand parts here in Adelaide and Perth and no-one has wrecked one. So without the parts in the USA I would be snookered. It's going to take about 3 weeks just to get a battery here. That's my whinge for tonight. Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
You guys in the States just don't know how lucky you are with parts for old bikes. Here Down Under, it's hard to get parts full stop. We only sell 100 wings a year. So with the 1200's there would have only have been 300 sold. Sorry to all the younger wing riders [there aren't many] but a wing is usually riden by an older rider. And an older rider don't tend to put them down the road very often. Also over here they cost big bucks. I seen a 1200 wing advertised for $9000 last week. Our $ is about the same as yours. Because they cost such big bucks we tend to fix them. I have tried to get secondhand parts here in Adelaide and Perth and no-one has wrecked one. So without the parts in the USA I would be snookered. It's going to take about 3 weeks just to get a battery here. That's my whinge for tonight. Eric
Yeah but you guys have all the cool Animals & funny names for things.:D:D:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts