Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, but I'd like to become a regular, because I want to buy myself a Goldwing. I'm looking for something inexpensive that I can clean up and fix up.
I found a 1984 Aspencade, which lists in KBB for $3150, but the owner wants $12oo, which seems pretty cheap and frankly, scares me a little. It has 67,000 miles on it. I had my brother-in-law take a look at it (it's 3 hrs away from me and he's closer) and he rode it and got some good pics. It shows the normal wear and tear of a 26 year old bike, which doesn't bother me.
The thing I don't like is that he says the ignition went bad and he couldn't find a replacement, so he bought a generic ignition switch for it and put it in. Since then, the radio doesn't work and the blinkers don't work either - they all blink together. I'm hoping the electrical system isn't messed up beyond what I can troubleshoot and fix. Also, the seat is damaged and would have to be replaced. It started and ran well and went through 4 of the 5 gears well (he's in town.) It also has a small dent in the gas tank and needs a back tire and he said the clutch seemed "loose", whatever that means.
My basic question is, should I stay away, or should I jump on this because it's too good to pass up? I don't know enough about Goldwings to know if this could be trouble, or if it's nothing to worry about. I really appreciate any input or advice and help your knowledge could provide. I hope to be riding a Goldwing soon! Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. I guess my question would be "how handy are you"?? If the items you mentioned are things you could fix on your own, then maybe taking a chance on the bike would be worth it. If the anticipated repairs are beyond your skill level, then I say stay away and find another Wing. There are a lot of good wings out there with a lot of miles left on them that won't need that much work. Good luck..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am handy and I would pass this one up for a well maintained clean Wing. There are lots of them around. Sounds to me like you are buying " a pig in a poke" . It's what you don't know about it that would bother me. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Greetings, I stand by the thought process that if it calls to you then it's a keeper. If you talk about in several negative terms than you are trying to convince yourself. Pass & look for the one that "calls you".

As always this is just one ole fossil's opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Unless you're just looking for a project, I'd keep looking. I hate messing with any vehicle that someone has played with the electrical system. Sometimes it's a simple fix, sometimes it's a real PITA.

Decent buys are out there. You just have to look. Your initial investment may be more but in the long run your total cost will be a lot less plus you can start riding right now instead of after months of reconstruction. In December last year, I bought my '87 Interstate with only 52,000+ miles for $2500.00 and the only thing it "needed" was a rear tire. I had two new tires installed and the timing belts changed and still only had $3300.00 in it and it was ready to go.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Hoss

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I decided to pass it up. I think I'll probably spend a little more and get something mechanically sound that I can enjoy right away and spruce up whenever I want.
Thanks again!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts